Instead Cups -- More Harm than good?

iVillage Member
Instead Cups -- More Harm than good?
Wed, 10-22-2008 - 8:53pm

So I'm pretty sure i'm ovulating tomorrow and my DH and I have been bding like crazy. Today, I decided to try out the instead cup. I've used them before to get the hang of them.....but, today was the first time I have used them when I know there is a chance to catch the egg.

Warning TMI...when I take them out I notice all the little guys pooled in the cup, I know this is normal, but my fear is that I have prevented them from swimming by putting the cup in. I make sure to lie down at least 15 minutes after BD and then put the instead cup in. Is it possible that i'm doing more harm than good by using the cup?

Thoughts ladies?

Pregnancy ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-22-2008 - 8:58pm

I got pregnant my first time using them.. so I would say.. if you use them right...(scoop, insert, leave it alone) then the probabilty of a good outcome should be fairly high. ALL of the women who got pregnant when I did used them as well.. so I say.. keep it up! I hope this is your month! :-)

~sarah~

Photobucket

pregnancy

Edison Klein or Ava Elise

~sarah~

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-22-2008 - 9:06pm
Well, I like the success rates i'm hearing, so that says something! I'm just nervous i'm not putting them in correctly. I know this is probably TMI for many, but when you squeeze the two sides together to insert, do you insert the pink ends first top to bottom or long ways?
Pregnancy ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-22-2008 - 9:06pm

The thing is, only 5 percent of the ejaculate is sperm. The rest is various fluids. So you are going to have some stuff left over...and you may have some of your own mucus in there too. I used them for the first time this month and I am hoping they helped.
So don't worry when you take it out and there's stuff left over.

HTH! BFP vibes!

Lilypie 21 - 37 day cycle Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

siggy from Tanya!
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-22-2008 - 9:18pm

OK, as far as inserting them, you will squeeze the two sides together, and then insert in lengthwise. The length is about that of a tampon, so it helps to think of that. When you insert it--what I did was kind of angle the part that was inserted first down a little, and it seemed to help get it under/behind the cervix. Then the other end (towards your vaginal entrance) would slip behind my pubic bone. I could no longer feel it when it was in the right place. Also, I tried to use them on a "dry run"...without having sex first or anything, and it was really hard. But if you are lubricated or you've just had sex then the little sucker just slides right in. LOL. It also helped me to spread my legs and stick one foot on the wall as our bed is up against the wall. HTH, sorry if TMI.

Lilypie 21 - 37 day cycle Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

siggy from Tanya!
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-22-2008 - 9:23pm

This helps a lot!!! I distinctly remember trying to get the darn thing past the pubic bone, so maybe I am doing it correctly. I would imagine most of what needed to get to the egg would have done so by me laying there for 30 minutes, but I hope the instead cups just gave it a little extra push! :)

Good Luck to you as well, I will keep my eyes open for your BFP!

Pregnancy ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-22-2008 - 9:26pm
Y'all are LIFESAVERS....i kept looking at that thing wondering how in the heck that wasnt going to hurt like hell. Thanks for the help full insertion tips. Lord knows i am sending DH to the bathroom, while i am doing my gymnastics on the bed when it comes time to use them.

TTC blinky Pictures, Images and Photos