Frozen? Not Responding? Slow?
Find a Conversation
|Mon, 12-22-2003 - 12:04pm|
Please post your own experiences related to Slow, Frozen or Non-Responding Problems on your PC.
If your PC is running very, VERY slowing -- or seems to "Hang" or "Freeze" -- What could possibly be causing this?
There are a couple of situations to consider.
- Has the computer simply come to a "dead end" and can't continue?
- Has the computer gone into an "endless loop" (remember the shampoo bottle instructions: lather, rinse, repeat?)
- Is your computer waiting for something or someone to respond?
- Is your computer busy doing 'other things' and will handle your request when it is available?
Here are some things to consider:
- Dead End - this usually means that the programmer did a sloppy job. If the software application you are using is freeware or shareware, this is more common. If you tried to do something fancy or complicated with the software, or something it wasn't intended to do, you might also encounter this.
- Endless Loop - in this case, you will see that all your CPU or processing is being used 100%, but that nothing is happening. This is usually a case of sloppy programming, and is more commong with freeware or shareware.
- Waiting for Response - if you are doing internet stuff, it could mean that the web site you are visiting is busy or overwhelmed. If you are running a local software program, check and see if there is a pop-up error message under your current open window. Sometimes the program is looking for a piece of hardware with a loose connection.
- Busy doing Other Things - If you have an antivirus program, sometimes this might start running while you are working on something else, and you'll be sharing the computer processing, making your machine seem slow. If you have gotten some SpyWare or a Virus on your PC, that Spyware or virus could be busy using your processing doing some really nasty stuff. Even though you don't always see another program running on the task bar, that doesn't mean that some sneaky program isn't eating up all your computer power or internet connection speed.
If you've experienced Slow, Frozen or Non-Responding Problems on your PC -- What was the Cause, and how did you Fix it? Add your post onto this thread.