Recycle bin problems

iVillage Member
Recycle bin problems
Wed, 02-11-2004 - 4:23pm
Sorry about the cl-hat. Okay - my moms computer is new, she has Windows XP and Photoshop Elements 2.0 the problem is she cannot delete her psd files after burning them on a cd. The message says cannot delete item dc1100 (or whatever number) because it is in use by another program. Also, lots of copies of the files she is trying to delete keep popping back up on her hardrive. Any answers, or do you know somewhere to find help easily - I have been the the microsoft users news groups and have had a hard time finding an answer.

Thanks!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-11-2004 - 11:07pm
The XP bug that sometimes locks files (mostly AVI's) can be overcome quite easily. When XP refuses to delete/modify a file; simply jump into the command prompt (Start>Run>"cmd") and modify the file from there. Windows-DOS seems to work around this bug. No need to wade through complex procedures for this one.

Another fix is to try to delete this file from SAFE mode.

If you surf the net for this issue you will find that you are NOT alone. BIG issue!

Ed

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-13-2004 - 6:32pm
thanks Ed, here is what I did to rectify the prob, first, only one user can be the administrator - the computer had other users on it and they were all administrators so I went to the user area and modified them all to be limited users. After this, so there was only one admn., I could delete the .psd files.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting