Error code 22 device disabled

iVillage Member
Error code 22 device disabled
Thu, 03-11-2004 - 2:37pm
I'm running windows XP home,my PC is a gateway 710 gamer and has a cd-rw drive and a dvd drive. Untill the other day i had no need to use the dvd player. I wanted to install a different assistant from the MS Word installation DVD and found that the DVD player is "disabled" error (code 22) I found the listing for error codes and DUH!--- it means the device has been disabled!

I followed directions to enable the device and got the message that Windows XP was not able to enable the drive. Why would it be disabled in the first place? I didn't do it, this is the first time I've been in device manager. Both the CD-Rw and DVD drives are hooked to the secondary controller, so I was wondering, do I need to disable the CD-Rw drive to get the DVD drive enabled and vice versa? Just wondering if anyone here would know so I can save the hassle of contacting gateway support.

Thanks

Carol

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2004 - 8:23am
http://www.support.gateway.com/support/default.asp

Goto "MY SUPPORT" plug in your seriel number and all your driver info will be available for download.

error 22 basically means one of two things

1.the driver is damaged and or corrupted and needs to be reloaded

2.the device itself has failed and needs to be replaced.

Ed

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2004 - 2:41pm

Try searching on the Gateway support pages for your model PC.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2004 - 5:06pm
Code 22

The text displayed for this error code differs depending on the circumstances.

If this device is disabled because you disabled it using Device Manager, the following text is displayed:

This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Click Enable Device to enable this device.

Solution button: Enable Device

If the device is not started, the following text is displayed:

This device is not started. (Code 22)

Click Start Device to start this device.

Solution button: Start Device

If the device is disabled by a driver or program, the following text is displayed:

This device is disabled. (Code 22)

You can't enable this device because it has been disabled by a Windows driver.

Solution button: None

This code means that the device is either disabled or has not started.

To resolve this error code, follow the recommended solution. For the third case, try removing the device in Device Manager, then redetecting it using the Add New Hardware wizard. If the problem persists, try a clean boot to rule out software interference. If the error persists, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Ed