Clearing Temp. Internet Files?

iVillage Member
Clearing Temp. Internet Files?
Sun, 03-14-2004 - 3:21am
I'm having a problem clearing my temporary internet files.  I'm running Windows XP, with IE 6.0.  Whenever I go to Tools>Internet Options>Clear Temporary Internet Files, it freezes up and stops responding.  I've tried to get around it by locating the folder in Windows Explorer, but I can't find it!  I did find the Cookies file in Documents and Settings, and I found a Temp file and another Cookies file inside of my Windows folder, but those two are empty, except for the index file.  I haven't had any problem clearing my cookies through IE, so any idea what I can do?  I either need a way to stop it from freezing up in IE when I try to clear them, or I need to know where to find the files myself.  I swear I searched every likely folder, but they must be there somewhere!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like,
and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve

Karen
Mom to Kristen (17) Chloe (7) & Connor (6)

Community Leader
Sun, 03-14-2004 - 12:41pm

I am not sure why it freezes when you try to delete those files. I know one day I went to help a friend and I went to delete hers and it took for ever......she had the computer about 8 months and had never done it. But then her little hourglass was there working so we knew it was doing something.

Here is a little information for you http://www.commerce-developers.com/InternetTips/KeepClean.htm

Community Leader
Sun, 03-14-2004 - 12:46pm

Love your site.

I am a very very newbie at trying to make my sig. I have a couple but I have to follow the instructions to the T. I don't know what the functions are supposed to do in the program (PSP) to do anything on my own....yet......lol

I really liked the butterfly sigs....

Janet

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-15-2004 - 5:05am

Thanks!

I had forgotten about the disc cleanup-I'll try that.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-15-2004 - 8:13am
Make sure you are NOT on the internet and the only thing running on your PC is your desktop.If it still freezes it could be the way Internet Explorer is loaded on your PC, not neccesarily a wrong way it may be set up to run as an active directory at bootup, and therefore the PC would freeze when trying to dump files from an active application. You can check this out with the MSCONFIG utility and look in the startup directory.

Ed

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-15-2004 - 8:48am

We are very informal here there is no dress code. The board that I started on when I joined iVillage I am not a cl on but yet I think I a getting close to having 200 messages there with my hat on

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2004 - 2:38pm

Try using the Control Panel, Internet Options to delete the temp files while the Internet Browser is CLOSED.

You might also want to try this after booting to safe mode.

Second, check the Temporary Internet files, Settings - Amount of disk space to use.