ScanDisc/Defrag/VirusScan Freeze Problem

iVillage Member
ScanDisc/Defrag/VirusScan Freeze Problem
Mon, 01-17-2005 - 11:01pm
I'm asking for another person with a 4-year old Gateway/Windows Me. When he tries to do a ScanDisc/Defrag or a Virus Scan his computer freezes in the process. He knows about disabling ALL programs, etc. He's tried in Safe Mode.......same results. He ends up shutting down the computer and then when he re-boots he says it doesn't boot up correctly and he thinks he may actually be losing infomation; esp. during a "defrag freeze". Can you help?
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-18-2005 - 10:51am

I have been looking for a solution for this and all I can say is WOW............. one said to run Adaware or Spybot program and see if there is any spyware on there.

Others have said to uncheck everything in the startup and start in safe mode. I just don't know.

Has this machine ever had Windows reinstalled? A friend of mine got Windows ME and started having prblems like this and even though it was out of warranty she called Gateway and since she was close to a store they had her bring it in and they said that it was time for a reinstall. They backed up for her and reinstalled it and she said it ran like a new one.

If there is something else going on only a repair person can tell. You can go to http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsMe/

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-18-2005 - 9:31pm

I had Windows ME.

siggie
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-18-2005 - 10:03pm
Yes, he has re-installed Windows in the past. And..........there are no more Gateway stores. I know Best Buy is selling Gateway as I saw them in one of their stores. Seems like Dell is giving Gateway too much competition. I will pass along your info and thank you.