Grrrr! Ethernet problem.....

iVillage Member
Grrrr! Ethernet problem.....
Tue, 01-25-2005 - 10:38pm
I got my new computer all set up and got the router and everything but I can't get DS computer to accept the ethernet that is in it.  It came with the card in it but it says it isn't right for some reason.  I never had to use it before in all the years i've had that computer.  I tried to install another ethernet card and as STUPID as it is, it won't work untill you get online and download the drivers.  Well, how in the heck am I supposed to get online to do that if that is the whole point in the ethernet card to begin with????  Is there any other way around it?  I don't have regular phone service now (had a fight with the phone company).  So I can't used dial up to get him online.  I have cable access on my computer.  My computer is windows media edition and his is windows 98.  I know I need to upgrade his soon but is there any way for him to get online in the mean time?  Other than using mine of course.

boyspics2.jpg picture by pepperderr 

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-26-2005 - 11:00am

My DH is a wonderful guy,,,he don't even know how to turn the computer on. I have complained about how nice it would be when we are in the camper if I could download the photos and work on them there and when I got home transfer them to this computer. And then why not get online with both computers.......lol.....I mean got a computer? Go online right? lol

But since I have not done that yet I am about as much in the dark as you are. Do I get a router or a hub plus a dozen other questions. This place is pretty easy to understand....... http://computer.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm

And yes you can network 98 and xp I don't see why not you can network a Mac and a PC.....lol......

Hope this helps ........Janet

Learning the computer one web page at a time.

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-06-2005 - 9:05am

Your son's computer must have a

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-06-2005 - 10:10am

It sounds like the older PC has a LAN/Ethernet card - which is not wireless.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-23-2005 - 11:51am
Thought I'd share this for others who might have the same problem.

boyspics2.jpg picture by pepperderr