IE6 and OE6 problems

iVillage Member
IE6 and OE6 problems
Wed, 01-26-2005 - 6:48pm

My OE is getting crazy on me and I need to uninstall it and IE6, and reinstall them. However, I went to the add/remove and supposedly uninstalled OE6 but when the computer restarted, there it was again! But the option to remove it was not in add/remove anymore. When I try to uninstall IE6, it won't let me, only a repair tool or add a component.

My program is so messed up, I know the best thing for it would be to uninstall and reinstall it completely. HOW do I do that? I can install over the current installation, but that does nothing, my problems are still there.

In case you can help me otherwise, the problem I have is I try to send emails from OE, but it says it can't and they keep piling up in my outbox. I have to send it, get told it can't send, go to the outbox and physically send it along and then go back to the inbox. It is a major hassle and I am tired of it. I also cannot delete anything and I now have over 8,000 emails in my inbox.

HELP!

Sue
http://pages.ivillage.com/feline_rescue

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-27-2005 - 5:44pm

When did this all start? Was it after you installed SP2?

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-27-2005 - 11:46pm

When did this all start? Was it after you installed SP2? >>>It's been going on off and on for a while, I didn't know there was an SP2. BTW I have Windows 98.

Have you checked your settings in Tools, Options check the Send and the Maintenance tabs and see if there is something in there that needs to be checked or unchecked. >>>Haven't done that, but I'll check it out tonight.

Do you belong to any newsgroups? >>>No

Has anyone but you been on your computer? >>>lol, no one gets close to MY computer, buahahahahaha

I don't think you want to do this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378 if you feel like you can just be sure to read it very carefully. >>>Thanks, I'll read it over.

Are you on dial up? >>>yes, it's the only thing available in our area :(

Community Leader
Fri, 01-28-2005 - 12:15am

Well

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-28-2005 - 12:41am

I did talk to them about it and they are giving me 2 disks. One is for something that I don't remember, lol, and the other is their installation disk which has IE6 on it. The ISP is local and so easy to work with, all emails and phone calls are answered immediately and you are talking to an American in your own city! Woohoo!

My ISP tech was as perplexed as I was that you cannot uninstall 6. I did have 5 but my computer crashed last year and 5 is no longer available so I had to go to 6. That is why I hate to update anything, it always gets screwed up.

Thanks for your help.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-28-2005 - 12:39pm

"Since it works sometimes I would say that the newest version with 98 might be causing problems but I would sure check with my ISP before I changed anything."

Good point. On the old PC I had Win98 and early last year I loaded a new version of my anti-virus program that I had to buy in order to keep being able to get d/l updates. It blew my Win98 apart. Other stuff started not working and it sucked up RAM and made operation "jerky." Mixing old OS with new software can definitely be an issue.

Gypsy

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-28-2005 - 7:37pm
Maybe you and I should state that we don't work for Microsoft or Apple.........lol.......... But it is true updating don't mean that it is updated......or something like that.......lol.......Janet
Learning the computer one web page at a time.

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-28-2005 - 8:29pm

BWAHAHA! Yup, we're just "consumers" who found what we like, and try to keep it all working the way we want it to...and learned some tough lessons along the way! :D

Gypsy

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(