Unable to open attatchments

iVillage Member
Unable to open attatchments
Fri, 01-28-2005 - 10:00am
in Outlook Express. This is something that has begun recently. Whenever I try to open attatchments I get a red x window that says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel." I can open photos but anything written....nada! Can you help me with this?
Martha
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-28-2005 - 12:44pm

"I can open photos but anything written....nada! Can you help me with this?"

Are you referring to attachments written such as in Word, Powerpoint, Excel and that kind of thing? If you are, *you* must have that program loaded on *your* computer in order to be able to open and read the attachment. Jpgs are universal as are .pdf files (if you have Adobe Acrobat, a free program, of course), but otherwise both the sender and the receiver must have the programs in which the attachments were created, in order to open the attachments.

Hope this helps,
Gypsy

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-28-2005 - 5:32pm

I had to look this up because I never open attachments and Gypsy beat me here......lol....... Thanks Gypsy.....

One thing I did find out is that I had stored some files at Yahoo when I had my first computer and wouldn't you know they were done it Corel Wordperfect..........and I now have Microsoft Works......(Word) So when I downloaded them I got that

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-28-2005 - 5:54pm

Glad I could help (I hope). I found that AppleWorks on my new Mac is much like MS Works. It has a translator program to open .doc files from my PC (YAY!) and then I can save in its format. Also, even on the PC, I could opt to open as a text file, with no formatting, I think, but I had to have SOMETHING, Works, TextEditor (forget what that's called in Windows -- same thing?), Word to do that, too.

It's a common confusion for people sending as well as receiving attachments, in that if it's other than JPG or PDF, they can't assume the other person will be able to read it. I had to learn the hard way the first time, too, and learn to remember who I was sending to, and whether the format of my attachment was something they could open...

Gypsy

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-29-2005 - 12:57pm
Here's the thing..... I sent that particular e-mail with attachment to my husband's computer and wouldn't you know it opened in Works! Mystery solved....when I installed Office Suite XPSE I overwrote Works. I could tell the attachment was written using a microsoft program and that's what got me so frustrated when I couldn't open it. So yes, in essence, your post was helpful. Afterwards he asked if I noticed that "wks" file expension..which meant works. Like I would know :O) Next time that happens I'll just send it along to his computer.

Thanks, Martha
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-29-2005 - 1:05pm
Hi Janet, I just posted to Gypsy explaining how dumb I can be sometimes. Fortunately I don't need to ask for help very often, but I'm always here, going through posts :O)
Thanks so much, Martha
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-29-2005 - 3:16pm

You know that sometimes someone will come in and read something and say "Wow, I am glad I read that because I always wondered how to do that or fix that. They might not come in and say so but I have done it myself.........

I have been told many times the only dumb question is the one you DIDN'T

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-29-2005 - 5:40pm

YAY! :D Glad you figured out what was going on. I've found with computers it's always something, and with me, it's usually some tiny little thing I neglected to notice...and I can go round & round about it until someone else, with a different, fresh point of view, points that little something out to me. LOL! ;)

I also agree that there is never a dumb question. If you don't know the answer, it's not a dumb question. Ever. What would be dumb is not asking, KWIM? We're all "works in progress" as regards computer knowledge, after all. How else will we learn, if we don't ask. :P

Gypsy

Edited 1/29/2005 5:43 pm ET ET by gypsywolfwoman

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(