Giant AntiSpyware won't let me post

iVillage Member
Giant AntiSpyware won't let me post
Mon, 01-31-2005 - 2:25pm

Hi there! This morning I installed Giant AntiSpyware and SpySubtract. Before then, I could post on iVillage using Internet Explorer so I can get the toolbar. But for some reason, after the install I can no longer do so.

I'm sure it's just a setting somewhere, but I don't know where!

Any suggestions -- other than a) using html and b) uninstalling the programs?? Granted the latter might be the case, but one would think / assume that they have to play together.

I'm using Mozilla's Firefox to post this, but for my board purposes, I need the ability to post URLs etc EASILY and quickly and learning / doing HTML isn't on that list.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance ....

just in case this is needed:

WinXPHome w/sp2
ZoneAlarm SecuritySuite
IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2.rtm.040803-2158IS
need anything else???

co-CL of TV Lovers
Visit our TV Website for TV listings
and more!!

You can also find me at:
SOAP DISH ~~ Adult ADD Meds

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-31-2005 - 9:51pm

I hadn't heard about this AnitSpyware product but I did find out it now belongs to Microsoft. I am going to do some more checking but I did find this.

If you set it up correctly, you'll never see the AntiSpyware application after your first manual spyware scan, because it will sit resident in your system and automatically deal with most spyware attacks, prompting you only with pop-up windows occasionally as needed. However, Giant AntiSpyware, unlike some other spyware solutions, presents a pleasant, easily-navigated user interface that is similar, in some ways, to a Microsoft taskpad or activity center.

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-01-2005 - 12:01am

Hi Janet ... well I miht have some add'l info.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-01-2005 - 11:04am

Sounds like you have a loop problem, it's probably because your running two anti-spyware programs in background and they are completing for resources and as each one updates a file/folder the other one is prompted to recheck and so on making them both loop and thus over running the processor which causes it to heat up and make the fans kick in. Try removing one of your anti-spyware programs from the system and see what happens.

Sorry about the hat...

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-01-2005 - 11:21am

Well I had the overheating problem before yesterday.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-01-2005 - 12:13pm

Just a thought but have you hit the Ctrl Alt Delete keys simultaneously to open your windows task manager?

If not do so and take a look at the processes and Applications tabs to see what is running when the fan is doing this, could be you have a conflict between your anti-virus program and the spyware.

In the Process tab you will be able to tell what is running with the CPU usage a looped program will most likely take up a continuous amount of CPU use. Also look in your Applications tab for programs that are running and not responding, try closing them down from the task manager one at a time, I wouldn't try closing anything in processes unless you know its not a core program as that could possibly damage the system but applications are just user programs.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-02-2005 - 11:25pm
I have heard so many people have problems when they have the 2 AV programs on the same computer they just fight......but maybe it wouldn't hurt to ask someone about the fan. Suppose it is out of warranty? Still you could ask Dell.....Janet
Learning the computer one web page at a time.

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-02-2005 - 11:45pm

long time out of warranty.