Computer shuts off by itself

iVillage Member
Computer shuts off by itself
Sun, 12-11-2005 - 10:01am

As of yesterday, my desktop computer has been shutting off by itself.  Sometimes it will stay on for hours, other times will shut off after a few minutes or while still booting.  I have Windows ME.  Any suggestions?  Any other info you need?

Thanks!

Barb

shelfname.gif

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-11-2005 - 8:48pm

Hi Barb,

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-11-2005 - 9:27pm

Hi Janet.

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2005 - 11:17pm

Janet,

On the issue of "vaccuming the tower".......do you just use a regular vaccum cleaner attachment? Omg.........I've never done that........and Im a bit nervous with getting shocked! I've never had problems like this poster, but just wanted to "mantain it!" Do I just pull out the tower and do the back? I know.....stupid question. I mean I always vaccum around it, dust the tops, sides.....and all around this desk area, but never vaccumed the back of the tower. I do have a pet,but we dont smoke. I vaccum like alone the rug in the back when I pull out the printer tray......and all around the back of that area. Ok......any info on it would be great before I electrocute myself!!!!!!! yikes!!!!

((((hugs))))))
Marie

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-17-2005 - 11:01am

You have to unplug everything from the computer and then open it up. I know this is a pain but you probably would get more than a shock if you left it plugged in.......this means anything that is plugged into the back of the tower unplug it.

If you live in a place where you have high humidity you are fine. If you live were you are getting shocks as you walk across the carpet.....and you computer is running fine wait till the summer when the humidity is high or ground yourself........ by touching something metal or using a ground strap attached to your wrist and then to something they say like a water pipe......which for me would be a very long strap unless I took the computer to the bathroom......lol. Static can be bad for the insides.....

Then if you want to use your big vac just hold it near the open computer if there is a lot of stuff in there it will come out easily most of the time cause there has been nothing to pack it down.

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2005 - 12:48am

Janet,

Gosh that sure seems scary.......lol! I will see what the hubby wants to do now! We have the high humidity in the summer of course, but as far as getting shocked when we walk across our carpet, well that doesnt happen in any season. I'm going to let the hubby read this post and we are going to see what we can do. I want to do it as a "maintance" and dont have any problems at the moment, but you never know.

Thanks for the great info!!!!

(((((hugs))))))))

Marie

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2005 - 8:31am

My two cents for what it is worth!

siggie
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2005 - 11:16am

Thanks for your reply.

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2005 - 11:27am

My DS has my old ME machine.

siggie
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2005 - 12:31pm

If your computer isn't that old I wouldn't worry about it to much.

I have an old office desk, a metal one with the slate top. I set my computer up there and lean against the metal and clean it out I also have an anti static mat that I was what they had when I got my chair so I pull that over and stand on that...... But I am in Nebraska. When I watched Call for Help when they were in California they said they didn't have to worry because of their humidity...... I wouldn't worry in the summertime either....I hate humidity.......and we get our share in the summer.....lol

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-18-2005 - 2:15pm

Actually, I bought the XP upgrade when it first came out.

Pages