Book Every Home PC User Should Have

iVillage Member
Book Every Home PC User Should Have
Sun, 01-01-2006 - 3:02pm

I wanted to recommend an excellent book that every home PC user should have on their shelves.  It's called 'Leo Laporte's PC Help Desk."  I accidentally came across it because my father bought a copy for me for my birthday thinking it would be a good business reference book for me.  The book didn't have any new information for ME, but as I looked through it I realized that it was extremely well written and easy to read with very pertinent information.  This book is a must have for any PC user.  It will help you diagnose problems easily so you won't have to pay someone like me to come out and fix it for you.  I highly recommend this book.  You won't be disappointed and it is worth the cost, even if you pay full price.  It's a $30 book, but Amazon is selling it for $18-something.  Here's the link if you want to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789733943/ref=wl_it_dp/103-2242295-3701422?%5Fencoding=UTF8&colid=26OWCGWYZ0ZO2&coliid=I3UEPY7UKKUC0X&v=glance&n=283155

I just thought I'd pass this information on because it's very rare I come across something like this that is appropriate for everyone.  It takes a lot to impress me, and this book managed to do it!  ;)

Jen

The WeatherPixie

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-02-2006 - 5:17pm

This still makes me angry when I think about it.

There was a channel on tv.....called (at first) ZDNET later became TechTV. Leo Laporte had 2 shows on there one was Call for Help that I started watching before I ever bought a computer and it made me a little more comfortable using it the first time. That show was for beginners and then he had one later in the day called The ScreenSavers, it was for the more advanced pc user. When it was ZDNET it was wonderfu.

When it went to TechTv they started catering more to the younger people. Like so many others.

Then the last straw was when they went to G4 now we can get Call for help from Canada with Leo but you can't let little kids even watch the commercials there.......let along some of the shows they are (for me ) past raunchy. And besides there is a girl on Call for Help that has this whiny voice it drives me nuts......

It is such a shame too because there is no other show on that had as much information and so easy to understand as CFH. I try and catch it once in a while but it is on here at 8am channel 354 on my Directv Dish. But like I said you can't let little ones watch........

In my opinion I wouldn't let my teenagers watch that channel at night either.......

But I do love Leo. I got through to the show and talked to him in 1999 when they were ZDNET and broadcasting from California. They sent me his autographed photo....(I have hanging on my message board by my desk....lol....like a kid.....lol

Yes he is good..

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2006 - 7:57pm

Sorry.

AcornLeaves