Disk space problem

iVillage Member
Disk space problem
Mon, 01-30-2006 - 11:30pm

For a while now I have had problems with my computer "locking up" when I am on the internet.  For the past couple days it happened every time I tried to get to one of my iVillage boards (Why one and not the other or any other iVillage boards?)

This morning I got this message:

Your Windows drive has only 3 MB of free disk space available.  This is a critically low amount of disk space.

System Restore has suspended tranching changes to your computer because ther eis not enough disk space available.  This means that System Restore will not be able to undo harmful changes if they occur.

To reactivate System Restore, free at least 200 MB of disk space.  You can free even more disk space by removing programs that you do not use.

I checked Add/Remove Programs.  It really doesn't look as though I have that much on there!  I deleted one game I just added that had only 10-15 MB and I deleted one graphics program reluctantly. 

I checked again.  I ran disk cleanup which said everything was fine, so I ran defrag to see what would happen.  When I ran defrag, it said that I have 80% disk space free!!!  Why would I get that other message?  I also checked the pie chart that I get when I right-click on the C drive of My Computer.  That was pretty much the same.  Only about 20% blue, but when I looked a little bit earlier it was all blue.

What else should I think about?  I'm concerned about the earlier message.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Barb

co-CL for Bereavement & Healing
co-CL for Laugh Yourself Well

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ladybug987/Signatures/springbutterflybarb.jpg>

CL-ladybug987

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2006 - 11:45am

How is everything running now? If it is good then somewhere something got confused and the defrag whipped it back in shape.

But just for the heck of it have you run a program like Adaware or Spybot? If you have them go ahead and run them and your anti virus ......not all at the same time.

Then let us know how it is running.........Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2006 - 11:19pm

Well, the disk space finally showed that it was okay ... only about 20% used.

AcornLeaves
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-05-2006 - 5:31pm
I am switching to IE as my browser.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ladybug987/Signatures/springbutterflybarb.jpg>

CL-ladybug987

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2006 - 1:39pm

I know that there were issues but you know. I can click on my big blue e and my internet comes right up. I can click on any of my bookmarks and they pop right open .......probably not as fast as they did once but.......still what has it been since the board changed to the new format? Going on 3 years? When I click on iVillage it takes forever to come up. And after IE2 I have to click on the security warning besides. Then when I log in I have to click on the security warning 3 times.....then wait for the page to open. Seems like that is just going to be the way it is for me.

I did go to a friends house that has a newer computer and uses Firefox as her browser and there was still a lag when I tried to get in here......so I think between iVillage and all the security stuff that has to go on it is just a problem........but then I don't FREEZE here either...

Clean up the Favorites? OH, NO that sounds to me like cleaning the garage.........I do run AM-Deadlink and get rid of some with that but still I can't seem to get rid of some unless I try several times and can't get anything to come up then it gets dumped........lol....

I know everyone seems not to talk down IE but with all it's faults I still like it better than the others......

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2006 - 7:50pm

I am gradually catching on to IE.

AcornLeaves
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-12-2006 - 9:23pm
I have Windows 98 SE on a 9 year old computer.

Amy

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-14-2006 - 10:39am

About the best thing you can do is to get rid of some stuff that is already on there. Programs you don't use. Back up everything you want to keep onto a disk (floppy-CD) and just uninstall. Sometimes things like compressing will slow you down a lot and probably cause problems. I would say don't convert or compress anything.

I know right now things are inbetweens with Microsoft dropping support for Windows 98, SE and 2000 but XP will be supported for at least 5 more years. And the new Windows Vista coming out at the end of the year should make some XP machines (fast processors, big hard drives etc good systems) a real bargin.

Have a nice day !.