mcafee is worthless. HELP!

iVillage Member
mcafee is worthless. HELP!
Mon, 04-10-2006 - 9:03pm
I have Mcafee on both computers and they are updated regular.  I had to spend 85 dollars a few weeks ago to get a virus off my computer.  Now DS computer has a virus and I can't get in to delete them.  Even in safe mode I just get error messages saying explorer will shut down do i want to send and error report..  One is spy sheriff.  i forget what all the others are.  I ran mcafee at first and it found 2 one was a trojan it removed and the other virus it says it can't clean or delete or quarantine.  So what do I have to do?  Spend another 85 dollars?  There is no way to get online to download anything different and mcafee is not fixing the problems.

ConvHeartsREBECCA.jpg

BSM_MyHusbandisinIraq.gifhooah.gifBSM_Daddy_saGuard.gif

BSM_MissingMySoldier_Ribbon.gif911aa1.gifBSM_ARNGMedic.gif

exercisedtodayblinky.gifdrphilwork_expatblinky.gifonlinefriendsblinky.gif  

cn_another.gifh2odrinkerblinky.gifMomof2princes.gif 

FebruaryBabyheartblinky.gifcollininmemory4.gifAprilBabyheartblinky.gif

PrayingforMic1.gifsupport20our20troops.jpgpregnancylossblinky.gif

boyspics2.jpg picture by pepperderr 

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-11-2006 - 10:21pm

Do you by chance have Messneger Plus 3 downloaded?

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-12-2006 - 2:44am
I've been told none of these programs is foolproof, and the idiots who toy with our computers are constantly coming up with ways to get around whatever security we have in place. It seems like they're always a step ahead of us, the jerks. I've had pretty good luck with McAfee, but lots of people I know think Norton is better. I get those "IE has encountered a problem and needs to shut down, do you want to send a report" things from time to time, but when I've run McAfee it doesn't find anything, so I'm not sure McAfee always is to blame. What I've found is some of these things your security finds got on your computer imbedded in something ELSE, if you willingly download one thing you're gonna get the bad guy along with it, and some of those are so tough to get rid of, they seem to put out roots throughout your computer or something. Others are "drive by" things, where simply opening a site places some vermin on your computer, at least that's what I was told. Some are notorious, we've talked about them here over and over, but some sound sooooo innocent and even sound like they're going to guarantee no viruses, etc., when in fact they will screw it up for you but good. Hope you get it squared away without spending more $$, it sounds like some remnant of your problem remains on your computer. Seems like Janet or somebody else has posted a list of known vermin before.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-12-2006 - 8:07am
w32/alemod.f.dll is the virus or problem from wininet

Community Leader
Wed, 04-12-2006 - 11:12pm

The fixes I came across had to do with downloading 2 programs and then getting into the registry too. These were on geek sites and sounds pretty deep to me.

But Joannaran is right the most innocent program the you can download can have some extras in them. But also some sites will have things that just pop in too. McAfee and Norton are the a couple of the most used anti virus programs there are but the people that write these nasty things are very fast and sometimes the good guys have to have time to catch up. But these really deep seeded programs are really bad..... makes me want to cuss.......

Good Luck..........Janet

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-13-2006 - 1:48am
I am assuming they won't let it be deleted because you NEED that dll whatever it is.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-13-2006 - 8:15pm
I don't think it is one program or the other sometimes those nasties come out and then the anti virus companies have to come up with a fix so it can catch it... I know, I wish the people that write these things would get a life and leave ours alone...........Janet

Have a nice day !.