Read PC prices coming down for now

iVillage Member
Read PC prices coming down for now
Mon, 06-12-2006 - 12:12pm

My best friend is on a limited income and needs a new computer, so I've been keeping my eyes open for her since she HATES to surf!  Anyway, I read just last week that many computers are dropping a lot in price at the moment and will probably drop even further the last couple of months of the year.  It has something to do with overseas competition and with Microsoft having pushed back the date for release of Avista (or whatever their new one is going to be called).  On the back of Sunday's (6-11) Parade magazine, Dell shows some computers for $299, incl. a regular monitor (flattop available for $130 extra) - they list it as an "entry level desktop", whatever that means, has Intel Celeron D Processor 325, Windows XP Home Edition, 256MB Shared DDR SDRAM, 80GB hard drive, 17" monitor, CD burner/DVD combo drive, 1 year warranty.  It's model Dimension B110 Desktop and can be upgraded with "more" for an extra $180, which would incl. a 15-inch flat-panel monitor (but not the 17" one you'd get if you only upgraded the monitor I mentioned above).   www.dell.com/parade

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-12-2006 - 7:38pm

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-13-2006 - 1:05am
Thanks, Janet, I passed that along to her, plus the ad for Dell, too.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-13-2006 - 11:43pm

Computer prices have been low for a while but now there is a good reason to sell them cheap. Because of Windows Vista next year. Most of us will have to buy a new computer to enjoy the new operating system.

I know my computer won't be able to be upgraded. But I hope it hangs in there for a few months after Vista comes out. I don't want to be the tester ..........lol

Janet

Have a nice day !.