computer booting in safe mode

iVillage Member
computer booting in safe mode
Thu, 07-20-2006 - 3:12pm

My computer is left on all the time.  Last night I re-booted it and turned off the monitor to go do other stuff.  Never went back to it.  Today, I turned the monitor on and it appears to have loaded in "safe mode" and wants a password!  I've never used a password before.  This is Windows ME and I know - it's time for new!!  All the programs normally listed on the task bar are there (I thought they didn't all load in safe mode??).  I have no mouse pointer and had to use keyboard to maneuver around the screen.  I can't get anthing to work though and don't understand why it's all of a sudden doing this.

Any suggestions?  I've been wanting to get a new pc for quite awhile but hubby said not yet.  Maybe now he will change his mind.

shelfname.gif

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-20-2006 - 10:12pm

Based on what is in your post I suspect that you have downloaded a malware or your PC has been hijacked.

1. Physically power off the PC that means literally power it down.
2.If it boots into safe mode again without the option of bypassing this mode. This usually means your startup directory needs to be repaired.
3. If you cannot get passes safe mode you will need to reinstall your operating system.
4.If you get past safe mode then go to www.securitytango.com follow all the instructions.

Ed

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-21-2006 - 9:58am

Hi.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-24-2006 - 1:51pm

I would first try to reinstall the drivers for the video card. Maybe you have them on a CD otherwise go to gateway site and get them.

Weird about your mouse not showing. Is it a USB mouse? Have you tried a different mouse? I recently had in incident with my brothers computer where his mouse went bad, we got a new one, and it was fine after that.