update on my virus scan problem

iVillage Member
update on my virus scan problem
Sat, 07-29-2006 - 9:20pm

i did what you said in the previous post about using spybot and adaware.  that did not solve the problem but tonight, a thing came up telling me there was a major update to my mcafee security center so hopefully that will take care of this problem.  now i have a new problem.  a thing comes up saying a new network is detected.  is that probably because of the upgrade and it is probably just ds computer that is hooked into mine or should i say i don't trust it.  it gives me the gateway, mask and mac address numbers.  is there a way to look them up on ds computer to make sure it is from him?  thanks

Rebecca

viv3.jpg  

exercisedtodayblinky.gifdrphilwork_expatblinky.gifonlinefriendsblinky.gif  

cn_another.gifh2odrinkerblinky.gifMomof2princes.gif 

FebruaryBabyheartblinky.gifcollininmemory4.gifAprilBabyheartblinky.gif

PrayingforMic1.gifsupport20our20troops.jpgpregnancylossblinky.gif

boyspics2.jpg picture by pepperderr 

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-30-2006 - 8:10pm

Check on the router connection it should tell you the information you want. It probably isn't a big deal everytime I start my laptop there is a pop up down by my clock telling me that I am not connected to the router.....lol.....I just close it every time I start it up.

I don't know about McAfee I use Norton and after I pay for my yearly subscription it updates itself and don't bother me again till next year.......lol

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-31-2006 - 4:06pm
If your major update did not fix the problem of it staying enabled, you might have to reinstall the whole thing. If I were you I would think about switching to Norton like Janet has, I don't think there are nearly the complaints or problems as compared to Macafee.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-31-2006 - 9:46pm

I had nortons on my old computer and loved it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-01-2006 - 11:11am

Why pay for something when you can get something close to it for free? I've been using AVG for a few years and haven't had any problems. I highly recommend AVG. You can find the program at www.grisoft.com

Lynne

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 8:51am
hmmmm maybe it was conflicting with McAfee? Was Macafee on there when you tried installing it?
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-02-2006 - 9:26am

No it said it was my speakers or something.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-07-2006 - 9:58am
I also think AVG is fine for a free antivirus, but I would recommend you also get yourself a firewall. Windows firewall does not do anything about outgoing connections and that can be important if you ever get infected with something. So the advantage with say buying norton security is you get the antivirus and the firewall together.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-07-2006 - 10:13am

I have Zone alarm for a firewall. It's also free and it plays very well with AVG. I have never had any problems with either one.

Lynne