Tab Key won't work

iVillage Member
Tab Key won't work
Wed, 08-16-2006 - 8:17pm

I ran mcaffee quick clean last night and I am not sure if i deleted something I might have needed or what but now today my tab key won't work.  I have tried it several times on several different sites and it won't work.  I am not sure if the other keys work but the regular letter and number ones work and the space bar.  It seems to be just the tab key.

Rebecca

viv3.jpg  

exercisedtodayblinky.gifdrphilwork_expatblinky.gifonlinefriendsblinky.gif  

cn_another.gifh2odrinkerblinky.gifMomof2princes.gif 

FebruaryBabyheartblinky.gifcollininmemory4.gifAprilBabyheartblinky.gif

PrayingforMic1.gifsupport20our20troops.jpgpregnancylossblinky.gif

boyspics2.jpg picture by pepperderr 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-17-2006 - 10:28am
does it work inside of notepad or wordpad or Word?
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-17-2006 - 5:57pm

I ended up downloading some for

boyspics2.jpg picture by pepperderr 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-17-2006 - 6:06pm

When my keys started not working on my old keyboard I shot them with some canned air and turned the keyboard up on the edge and tapped it on my desk then dumped it out......OOOO the gunk.

But that wasn't bad my E and S wouldn't work so I gently pried them off and looked under there and OH MY was it syrupy under there. I found that it wasn't that rare but it reminded me of when I lift the stove top up to do my yearly cleaning.......

Anyway I took the keyboard to the kitchen and got a big bath towel. Set the keyboard on there and slowly and gently pried off the keys and used QTips to clean under the keys. Then I took the keys to to the sink and washed them in warm soapy water. Rinced well and tried to dry them the best I could with canned air then let them set over night. I put it back in the morning and it worked like a new on.

Now if your keyboard is fairly new this may not be your problem. But if you have had it for a while you could check and see if that could be the problem.

I was suprised because I don't eat over my keyboard but did find what looked like dandruff (dead skin) hair etc.... And I am always suprised when I tip it up how much stuff comes out looks like I ate crackers over it.....but I don't.....add to that the oil from your fingers over time that turns to gum in there......I know it is gross but it is a fact......lol

Yes it could still be a software problem but at least you can rule out dirt as the problem....

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-18-2006 - 10:14am

Another way to clean it: If your keyboard is just a normal one, without all the extra buttons, you can put it in the dishwasher. Yes, the dishwasher will clean all that gunk out. I've done it with a couple of my older keyboards and as long as you let them dry out good, they've worked like new. My new keyboard has all the extra buttons (home, search, etc). I don't know if it would survive the dishwasher.

Lynne