Lots of computer problems. help needed

iVillage Member
Lots of computer problems. help needed
Thu, 08-31-2006 - 10:26am

My mom has had a lot of problems with her computer.  For one thing her virus scanner wasn't even running.  She had lots of games she downloaded (some over a year ago) that she doesn't play anymore so I deleted lots of them for her.  The problems that came up are....

Cubis Gold 2 says Can't install log.file when I try to uninstall it

Puzzle Blast says Install log not found

Tennis Titans says Install log not found

Big Kahuna Reef says that same thing I think but I didn't write that down so I don't rememeber

Pop Out says Couldn't open install log.file

She had Nortons AV 2003 on her pc.  A box comes up every time she starts it that says Virus protection turned off.  Open Nortons 2003 to resolve this issue.  To prevent duplicate alerts use my existing Nortons product alerts and turn of redundant windows security alerts.  This comes up as soon as she starts the pc and it keeps popping up every few seconds one on top of the other.  She tries to make them small or drag it out of the way but in a few seconds another one pops up.  When I was there she did not have the disk to try to reinstall or uninstall it but I could not get it to go away because I don't believe Nortons is on her pc anymore.

What can you do to help me help her?  She has windows xp home but I am not sure of her memory or anything else.  Oh and she evidently had MSN toolbar downloaded and I think I unloaded that or something but she keeps getting a box popping up saying msn toolbar can't be uses or something.  I forget that exact error message.

Thanks a bunch for any help you can give me!

Rebecca

viv3.jpg  

exercisedtodayblinky.gifdrphilwork_expatblinky.gifonlinefriendsblinky.gif  

cn_another.gifh2odrinkerblinky.gifMomof2princes.gif 

FebruaryBabyheartblinky.gifcollininmemory4.gifAprilBabyheartblinky.gif

PrayingforMic1.gifsupport20our20troops.jpgpregnancylossblinky.gif

boyspics2.jpg picture by pepperderr 

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-31-2006 - 7:54pm

Once you erase anything, if it is still in your startup directory then the computer will look for it when it starts up, if it can't find it hence the error. The easiest way to repair these items is to take it to your local pc professional and have them do a clean install of your operating system.

Ed

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-01-2006 - 1:37pm

You don't necessarily have to have the operating system reinstalled, though it is the easiest way if you don't want to try editing the registry.