Help!!! Did I do something wrong???

iVillage Member
Help!!! Did I do something wrong???
Sun, 09-03-2006 - 7:16pm

I've been reading about how it is important to have another firewall besides the one that comes with Windows XP SP2.  I have been gradually becoming more technosavvy.  I've read that a bunch of people feel Zone Alarm is pretty good for a free program, so last night I downloaded the free version.  Today I was working along and my computer became s-l-o-w-e-r and s-l-l-o-o-w-w-e-e-r.  It finally got to a point where it indicated 100%  usage.  I couldn't get anything to work, even closing programs.  Oh -- and before that my jigsaw puzzle program wouldn't load.

Somehow -- and I don't even remember how except that I did not turn it off with the button -- everything did close down.  I just let it sit for quite a long time.  When I turned it back on, I got a message from Zone Alarm about an update, which I have downloaded.

My computer actually worked quite reliably before this!  Have I messed something up?  What other information might you want to know?  I have learned so much lurking here and just "opening things, looking at them, and closing them back up" =)  Did I make a mistake to add Zone Alarm?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

co-CL Bereavement & Healing
"a soft place to land"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ladybug987/Signatures/springbutterflybarb.jpg>

CL-ladybug987

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-05-2006 - 11:56am
We have a router so more than one computer can be used on the cable ISP. It has a firewall built in. I've never had good luck with software firewalls, which isn't much help to you. You can uninstall it and see if that helps.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-05-2006 - 12:13pm
I havent heard of a firewall or specifically Zone Alarm causing a problem like that. If this starts to happen again, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and click task list or right click on the task bar and click Task Manager and look on the processes tab and see which process is using all the CPU. That will tell you if its Zone Alarm or not. You can let us know which one it is and someone could help you identify it if it isn't readily apparent.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-05-2006 - 1:17pm

I meant to get back here before this.

AcornLeaves
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-05-2006 - 9:19pm

It's usually not a good idea to use too many programs that do the same thing. That could be what's slowing down your computer. I have AVG and Spybot, plus the latest Microsoft upgrades, plus my router firewall. That's plenty for me. Knock on wood, I've never really had a virus and only a handful of spywares, which got zapped.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-05-2006 - 9:27pm

I've heard that, too, in certain situations.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ladybug987/Signatures/springbutterflybarb.jpg>

CL-ladybug987

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-07-2006 - 7:57pm

I try to have the fewest things running on my computer. On my desktop at home it works great I have Norton AV and Zone Alarm running all the time.......that is all. I do let MS get my updates so I can install them later. But I also run Spy Bot and Adaware every week.....first one then the other....next week I run the second one first. If I am lucky the program I run second will say.......Congradulations you have no threats........lol.......

But any program that is sitting there down by your clock is a running program and it can and will slow you down. I know some people that for whatever reason have more than 10 things sitting down there. It is silly because something like Real Player will slow you down anyway and to have it sitting there all the time is kind of silly. If it is your default player it will come up when it is needed.

But that is just me I don't like to have a lot of stuff running.......it is up to you if you want them or not....

I just use Windows Media Player and don't have Real or any of the other ones downloaded......

Janet

Have a nice day !.