Question about "start menu"

iVillage Member
Question about "start menu"
Sat, 10-14-2006 - 8:31pm

Okay, my question is this:  Why do all the icons next to the Program name on the start menu look generic?  They used to have specific pictures relating to the program, but now they all have the same generic look.  What happened?  I have Windows XP.

The only thing that has changed recently is a Windows automatic update last night.  Have no idea what it was for, since it did it automatically!

I tried re-booting, but that didn't change them.  Please help!!

Thanks.

shelfname.gif

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-15-2006 - 11:21pm

I've had some probs of my own after the update, but that's not one of them. Do the programs actually start, as the generic icons sometimes come up when the link to the programs is broken? I hope that isn't it.

I have no idea what is causing it, but there are a couple things I'd do try to fix it.

1) Go to the Windows Update Page (a link should be near the top of your Start menu) and see if there are any further updates.

2) Right click on "Start" and click "Properties" Click "Classic Menu" and close. Check it out. Are the icons in the Programs folder? Then right click and choose "Proberties" again and choose "Start Menu" and see what happens.

3) Right click on "Start," choose "Properties" and choose "Customize" and choose "Large icons" and see what happens. You can repeat and return to "Small icons"

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-16-2006 - 8:37am

Actually, that's what I did.