why can't i use aim express?

iVillage Member
why can't i use aim express?
Sun, 02-25-2007 - 11:04am
I have a chat room that I go into every day.  I used to use AIM express with no problems.  The last few months, I have only be able to use the very old version of AIM express to get in.  As soon as I sign in to the newer AIM express, it disconnects.  It loads fine for a few seconds but then if I try to open a chat room or even click to chat with someone on my list, I get disconnected.  There is not a way to contact AOL about it that I know of.  I already did send in a complaint to them but not one where they can contact me and tell me what to do.  Any ideas?  I am not sure what changed on my computer that would make it stop working.  I have IE 6 with sp2 and window xp home media center.  I have tried turing off all firewalls, I have tired adding it to the ok sites so it is not blocked, I have turned off the pop up blocker.  I just have no idea what to try.  I have even downloaded regular AIM to see if that would make AIM express start working again but it didn't.  I don't like having aol on my computer.  It normally won't work anyway but that is why I use AIM express so there is nothing to download.

Rebeccaflowerboys.jpg  

exercisedtodayblinky.gifh2odrinkerblinky.gifonlinefriendsblinky.gif   

MMNathan.gif

boyspics2.jpg picture by pepperderr 

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-26-2007 - 11:43am

I have tried to log in myself this morning and it keeps saying the service is unavailable so maybe I'll keep trying.

I do have a suggestion for the time being, maybe they are having service issues lately?

Try using this site I use all the time to access all the instant messenger services, AIM, Yahoo, and MSN. It is called Meebo. Just go to
https://www.meebo.com

You can log in to AIM right from that page, see what you think of it.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-26-2007 - 8:53pm

I never did have the Aim messenger but I have friends that were using it and I also had a couple that were using ICQ I had that once and didn't like it but still wanted to keep in touch with everyone. I have an account at Yahoo, MSN and ICQ and I went and got one at AIM then downloaded http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/learn/

it is called Trillian. Now I can talk to everyone throuh 1 messenger. I did keep the Yahoo one just because I was used to that but I never did download AIM and I uninstalled the MSN messenger because it was quirky and fat so I uninstalled it .........but I just checked my Trillian and it logged into all accounts and I was able to get out before people saw me........but I had friends on from AIM so it much be working.

I was going to tell you about Meebo but someone else did already I would go there and try and log into Aim and see what happens.

There is another one that I haven't heard a lot about but that one is http://www.miranda-im.org/

Unless it is just that you want the AIM messenger I would give some of the others a try that way you don't have to have all of them on your computer just one.........

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-26-2007 - 9:21pm
that works so much better.

boyspics2.jpg picture by pepperderr