Excel-Word Mail Merge Help!

iVillage Member
Excel-Word Mail Merge Help!
Sat, 03-03-2007 - 4:52pm

I've spent hours searching through Microsoft Online Help and I'm getting a headache plowing through information that isn't helpful. I'm stuck trying to create mail labels in Word using an Excel spreadsheet as my data source. I printed out the MS Office Online Help Instructions for "Print labels by using Excel data in a Word mail merge" and followed it verbatim. I get as far as Select Recipients, Use An Existing List, Browse, Look In List, Clicking on Folder with saved workbook with data, Open, Select Table, OK... THEN, I get the message, "Word was unable to open the data source". AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!
I've heard there are Newsgroups and User Groups but I don't understand how they work. Then I thought of ivillage! I'm hoping someone with expertise in Excel/Word mail merge will help me out. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I'm going to lie down with a wet cloth over my eyes for a bit and hope someone will have replied when I'm back up...

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2007 - 1:42am

When they told me that the Word I have in MS Works was not as involved as Office Word for be I would beg to differ......lol......I can open it and type but beyond that if I make lables I have to do it in Printmaster.....lol......and I know that is not what you want..... I know what mail merge is but would get around using it somehow........lol

But when you searched did you find this http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP052037601033.aspx

Have a nice day !.