Driving me crazy!!

iVillage Member
Driving me crazy!!
Tue, 03-13-2007 - 11:28am

I'm using W2K and have all the updates. I've got an anitvirus, anti-spyware programs, and a firewall.
Somehow, I picked up something about 2 months ago that will randomly say "merry Christmas". It doesn't matter if anyone's on the computer or not, as long as the computer is on, it will say it randomly. Does anyone know what the heck is causing this? I've run all the diagnostics, antivirus, anti-spyware, looked in the task manager to make sure nothing weird was running but all seem normal. I don't want to wipe the hard drive so what I do at night when I don't shut the computer down is just turn off the volume. I even suspected it could be caused by one of the IM programs but have them all shut off and it still does it. Does anyone have any suggestions at all???????? I'm at my wits end.

Lynne

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-13-2007 - 12:14pm
I would say post all of your running processes here so we can take a look at them and see if any of us see anything suspicious. You could also start killing processes one by one until you no longer experience this message and then you know which one is causing it.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-13-2007 - 12:26pm

after further investigation, look if this could be your problem:

http://www.answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=286079

with this being the final reply and resolution to the problem for this person:

"I finally found the answer myself.

Apparently AOL 9.0 allows users to substitute "Cute" sounds in place
of the normal AOL sounds when they log on or off or send IM's. One of
my friends had done that and that's why I could not find the sound
file on my computer. It was not a virus after all...just the annoying
marketing people at AOL thinking that they had created something value
added."

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-13-2007 - 12:38pm

ACH!!!! I'll bet it's coming from AIM. It's not showing on the task bar but is listed in task manager. THANK YOU!!!! I will keep an eye on AIM and see who's got that as their entry sound. That darn thing was just about driving me nuts!

Lynne

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-13-2007 - 12:59pm

I was having a fit about Windows Messenger running all the time. I marked it not to start at start up and took it out of the start through msconfig but there it was running and running and it was driving me crazy I had tried everything.....then someone said that I was going to have to live with it......but then one day someone from one of the forums posted that I could take out Windows Messenger by uninstalling it from the Add/Remove on the side it says Add/Remove Windows components.........low and behold it is gone..........YEAH>>>>>>>>>

There is no reason to have things running and slowing you down when you are not using them. If you have told AIM not to run at start up and it still does they need to fix it, what do that think they are anyway Microsoft?
LOL

I have gotten my running tasks down from 38 to 31.

I still have Yahoo messenger installed but I uninstalled MSN because it really not only slowed me down but it was making things kind of funky.....

But I have friends that use AIM, Yahoo, MSN and ICQ and there was no way I was going to download all of them......ICQ will drive you right up the wall........lol.....or further up as that goes....lol.......So I got an AIM account and downloaded Trillian......I can talk to everyone on that and don't have to have all those programs pushing me around all the time.......When I am done I just turn it off......

Glad you found yours......and when my software starts talking to me and I didn't ask it anything then it is time to go fishing.......lol

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-13-2007 - 7:11pm

What would freak out the kids is the computer is in my living room and their rooms are in the loft (open) just above it and during the night they'd hear MERRY CHRISTMAS in a man's voice! LOL! There are no men in this house.
I e-mailed the one that has that as his sign in and sign out sound. Hopefully, he'll change it or I'll just have to shut down AIM.

Lynne