slow computer

iVillage Member
slow computer
Sun, 03-18-2007 - 5:06pm

something is going on with my 12 year olds desk top. It's only 2 years old. It has plenty of ram and a big hard drive. She has Norton security and adware as an Antivirus. She has Microsoft office on it and itunes. Those are the 2 programs she uses the most. Oh, and she uses limeware. I've looked all over that computer, cleaned out the cookies, the temp files, ran the scan disk and the thing is still real slow.

Should I wipe the hard drive out and start over? I don't know what else to do. We are on a secure wireless network.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-18-2007 - 6:30pm

Well, you've done everything I would have suggested.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-18-2007 - 6:48pm
I did that? What a drag this is

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-18-2007 - 8:11pm

Here are some websites that might give you some additional options:

http://www.debog.com/

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101451.asp

http://wiki.pomona.edu/bin/view/FAQ/SlowComputer

Frustrating isn't it?

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-18-2007 - 8:51pm
thank you - I will check those sites out. :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2007 - 12:18pm

I am not a fan of file sharing with Limewire etc.......you are opening up your computer to whatever there is on other computers.

Here is something to think about...

Any peer-to-peer file swapping program, such as Audiogalaxy, Bearshare, Blubster, E-Mule, Gnucleus, Grokster, Imesh, KaZaa, KaZaa Lite, Limewire, Morpheus, Shareaza, WinMX and Xolox. In an organization, can degrade network performance and consume vast amounts of storage. May create security issues as outsiders are granted access to internal files. Often bundled with Adware or Spyware.

You have to take it from there. I always think of it as leaving your house open and ANYONE can walk in and take say a cookie off the plate.....but also when you use those programs you are walking into someone elses house to get a cookie and you don't know what their house is like or where it is.......for me it sounds gross and scary....

Just remember you get what you pay for.........

So be very careful.....

Janet

Similar Pests

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2007 - 8:31pm
you think limewire's what slowing it down? You make very good points. I thought that when she downloaded it there was an option that she could click that said, i don't want to share the music i've downloaded or something like that. :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2007 - 11:52pm

There might be. But if she is downloading it is from someone else's computer and that can get a person into whatever is on that computer......spyware, viruses etc......

Even if she don't share sometimes the programs themselves are calling home.

I had downloaded MSN 7 or whatever the newest one was and while the version I had was fine the new one slowed me down and was freezing my internet etc........I got rid of it and it stopped......

But there are other things that can slow things down.... run your spyware programs and virus programs and make sure they are up to date.......

Good luck....Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2007 - 9:35am

I use limewire on occasion. Yes, there is a setting to "not share" what's on your computer or you can set it up so it will share only one folder if that's what you want. If Limewire isn't being used, it should be shut off. Make sure it's not still running by checking near the clock. If the icon is there, right click and exit it. Limewire itself should not slow the computer down. I haven't found any spyware with limewire like I have with other file sharing programs. Anything downloaded from limewire should be scanned with the virus scanner before opening.

Lynne

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2007 - 7:28pm
I ran Norton/Adware/Spybot - nothing showed up. What a pain this is.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-23-2007 - 2:15pm

A few more suggestions. http://www.infohq.com/Computer/help/slow-computer.shtml

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

Like these sites tell you there can be many reasons for a slow down......Mine has slowed down too.....
I am running Windows XP that came on this machine in 2001......I only have 256 MB of ram....every time I go to try and find some for this computer it says to see Dell's website......and there it tells me that since I have to have 2 sticks of memory the only thing they have left for mine is like 512 MB and that is over $300 the only thing I hate about Dell is they have their own memory so I can't go to the store and pick up some for $20 like some other people can..... The price is also why I have waited because this computer is going on it's 6th year and I can tell that it is showing it's age...So I am putting up with the slowness.....But when you have a newer computer and everything else has checked out , and you have plenty of hard drive space etc......then maybe you could benefit from more memory.......

They tell me that Vista runs on 1GB of ram but that 2 would be better.......well I am going to put the money in ram at the start and go for 4GB and hope that they never catch up to me........lol

Janet

Have a nice day !.

Pages