No idea what's causing this - help!

iVillage Member
No idea what's causing this - help!
Sun, 03-25-2007 - 3:09am

All of a sudden the past few days when I open up tools and internet options to delete history each day, it just jams up.  And then I can't exit - I have to sit here and repeatedly hit control/alt/delete maybe 30-40 times until it finally unjams.  And even then it hasn't deleted history at all, I have to do that manually item by item.  I ran AVG this afternoon and we have a firewall, SpyBot and Ad Aware and more at work on our computer.  Lately I'm also seeing a LOT of the "page cannot be displayed" thing when opening web pages I have used regularly in the past with no such problem.  Is this pointing to something in particular?  We still use XP and IE6, plan to stick with those until there's no choice but to switch.  As usual, I'm on my own figuring this out. 

~~Joannaran near Boston, with Jessie and Jake~~

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-31-2007 - 2:21pm

Try going to Start, All Programs , Accessories, System tools and running Disk clean up. Then try deleting in your browser.

If you would have to you could open up history and highlight the whole bunch.....Edit, Select All and then right click and delete......

Then check to see if you need a defrag.

Once in a while I defrag even though it says......This Volume Does Not Need to be Defragmented......lol.....

I don't have the adware

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-31-2007 - 9:39pm
I did run defrag the other day and it's "better".

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-01-2007 - 8:22pm

I think after a while with IE 6 there will be more and more places that you can't get to or other problems it does seem there is always something.

What was the camera that he got you? Maybe we can find some instructions....

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-02-2007 - 2:59am

I found instructions for this new camera online, but it would have been sooooo much easier if it had come with a small booklet to use easily!

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-02-2007 - 12:14pm

you could check out these instructions to attempt to repair IE6 and see if that fixes your problem. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial71.html

Also I run a registry cleaning program from time to time, it helps with performance, etc. This one is free and works good.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-02-2007 - 7:29pm
Janet, is this the registry cleaner you use or did I goof and find a different one?

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-04-2007 - 1:20am

Oh my, I have a friend that will do nothing for a while then call me and tell me nothing is working......lol

I got PCPitstop Optimize and I did pay for it. I was a little leary of using a free one.

But I have been hearing some little noises in my computer and I have a funny feeling that maybe my hard drive is getting tired....

Then I read Kim Komando tell a guy the other day when he asked about getting another bigger hard drive on his 4½ year old one because it was starting to make sounds..........she said "You got 4½ years that is very good and it is time to get a new one"........Mine is going to be 6 years old in November. But I feel like when you start putting new parts on it is like an old car.....once one thing gets bad then another and pretty soon you have a new one in just parts so why not get everything new?

I have a feeling that since Vista isn't selling very well that new computer prices will stay low. But who wants a new operating system if it will end up to be a Windows ME?

Man, I just looked at the clock and it is almost 12:30 in the morning and I was wondering why my eyes were getting sticky.......lol

Janet

Have a nice day !.