Password problem

iVillage Member
Password problem
Tue, 04-03-2007 - 7:37pm

Okay, most of you probably don't have an operating system this old, but here goes:

My old laptop has Windows 98 2nd edition.  I am cleaning up the hard drive in preparation to sell it, but there's this nagging problem - when the computer boots up, it asks for a password.  My name is there as user, but for the life of me, I can't remember what the password is!  All I have to do is press "cancel" and it goes away (so much for security - LOL)

I've tried the control panel, passwords options but there's no option for changing the password.  Any suggestions?

shelfname.gif

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-04-2007 - 1:11am

I found a site with

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-04-2007 - 8:08pm
Thanks Janet.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2007 - 12:05pm
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2007 - 1:06pm
Thanks, but I've tried all that.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2007 - 6:08pm

The only other thing I can think of is if you have the disk then reinstall the whole darn thing.......Windows 98 benefited with a clean reinstall anyway.....lol

Well I found this, after that I don't know

Start>Control Panel>User Accounts...
Click on your username and change Password:- Give a new password. It will not ask you for the old one. It will work.......... Believe me.

I went to a forum that several people asked the same question and they came back and said that it worked.......

I don't have to worry about passwords or anything with my computer because I am the only one on it. But I have friends and family members that will used the same user name and password for all their surfing on the internet.........Don't do that......

I got a daytimer, since everyone is using blackberrys or what ever their PDAs are called daytimers with the place for the names and addresses are cheap for really nice ones. I can even get refills most of them have the rings you can open.

The address sheets like on the the I one I have my iVillage user name and password. On the A I have the one for About.com......etc.....

Somewhere in there I have my xp number but the number is on the back of the computer too........but when the computer is in place I can't read the darn thing. LOL

I didn't have to log into Windows 98 so I never had a problem with it....

Sorry I couldn't have helped more.....

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2007 - 10:25pm

Well, believe it or not..........I remembered the password!