Error message after Windows Updates

iVillage Member
Error message after Windows Updates
Wed, 04-04-2007 - 8:22pm

Well, like a good little computer user, I installed my Windows updates today.  When complete I re-started my computer.  When it booted up again I got this error message:

"The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory.  The application will not run properly.  The relocation occurred because the DLL C;\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs.  The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

How do I find out what program it was for??  I can't ask for a new DLL if I don't know who to ask! 

By the way, this is WIN XP 

Thanks...........

shelfname.gif

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2007 - 5:25pm

I found several places where it said that this dll belonged to RealTec Audio........do you have that?

Looks like that dll is sitting in one of Microsofts chairs and MS don't like it.......lol.......

Here is something that is supposed to fix it...... Here is one http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/en-us

And the other

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2007 - 7:38pm

Thanks Janet.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2007 - 12:03pm
that Realtek thing would be for your sound card. You have Realtek audio on your motherboard. I have this also on mine. The control panel would just be the icon that probably sits in your system tray and if you clicked on it, it would pop up some audio controls for you to use like speaker configuration and an equalizer and sound effects, that sort of stuff. So if you hear sound and you dont care about that fancy stuff then I would not worry about it. In fact you could take it out of your startup altogether if you like.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-06-2007 - 6:15pm

I don't know if just not having it not start up would help but it is worth a try. From what others said that downloadable fix helped them and I hope they could tell us straight and not have to download something that would do what we could do easily without a download... LOL

I had the little speaker in my tray for a long time then realized that I had only had to click on it once. So I got rid of it. I also have my internet connection icon there but is just nice to know if they are blinking something is going on and I can check it out......more of a comfort that anything else.....lol

Thanks Janet

Have a nice day !.