Friend with computer problems

iVillage Member
Friend with computer problems
Fri, 04-13-2007 - 3:50am

She's like me, she's very much alone resolving computer problems and her finances are stretched to the limit, so paying for help isn't easy.  She bought a new computer not too long ago, and just recently it keeps freezing up completely - she can't do anything, incl. turn it off normally.  To shut it down she's been unplugging it from the wall, hoping she isn't doing any permanent damage.  A friend of her daughter's has been at her house a few times trying to make sure she has all the security, etc. she needs, and she DOES.  I have a feeling he's gotten tired of being her computer person and he's super busy himself, so she waits for weeks for help.  I've told her to call her server in the un-busy hours and plead for help, for one thing, or to take the tower to a local computer repair place, it might be her best option, short of waiting for weeks for her daughter's friend to find time to try to help again.  Last time it was a few weeks, and she needs her computer for bills, etc. 

IS she doing major damage unplugging the computer???  I know doing hard shut-downs isn't too good, but is this even beyond a hard shut-down???  Does this sound like a virus?  I'm not great with a computer myself, so I really can't help her all that much.  I keep meaning to ask her how old her mouse is, too! 

~~Joannaran near Boston, with Jessie and Jake~~

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-13-2007 - 6:28pm

You are right pulling the plug is not good.

You said it is a fairly new computer? Less than a year ago? If that is the case she could give a call to the people she bought it from. Usually there is a year warrenty.

I have been running XP for over 5 years now and have never had the computer freeze.....I have had programs freeze I do the CTRL-ALT-DELETE and shut down the program that is being bad and I can open it right back up....Unlike with Windows 98 I hated that version..

There is a program called HijackThis http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-13-2007 - 6:41pm

I just told another poster to do this and your friend can do it too........

Go here http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-13-2007 - 11:07pm
Thanks for all that, Janet!

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-14-2007 - 12:36am

I have a friend also that used to ask me a lot of questions and I had gone to her house quite a bit. Then she quit calling and I thought either she was figuring things out or someone else was helping her........but a couple weeks ago she called and said she thought she had a virus.......and from what she told me I think so too......I guess she figured since she had Norton installed when she got the computer that it was free.........Oh my.......lol

Yes I don't think anything good can come from pulling the cord......

Wish her luck for me and I hope that where she got her computer they are able to help her.

Janet

Have a nice day !.