Backing up files?

iVillage Member
Backing up files?
Wed, 05-09-2007 - 4:55pm

HiYa!

I am going away and taking my laptop with me.   If it gets stolen or anything, well, I don't even want to think about it!

Have run the Wizard to back up everything on the computer and now have

*Backup
Windows Backup file
12,093,282KB*

sitting in *My Documents*.      I thought I would be able to copy this file to floppy disks (Drive D) but I keep getting *incorrect function*.

I am absolutely HOPELESS at this kind of thing but don't want to lose everything if my laptop goes missing.

Any advice would be appreciated on what I do next ..

Thanks heaps!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-10-2007 - 12:15pm

Do you have a CD burning program on your computer? Most of the time when you open that it will have you drag files into a place to wait for you to burn them.......when you get them all in there just hit the Burn or Record button. The I close everything and check the disk to make sure everything is on there.

I had a heck of a time running that burning software I found it very confusing at first.......so I just open My Documents and highlight a file and on the left hand side it will ask you if you want to copy it to a CD.......I say yes and it puts it in a holding area and when I have them all in there it will ask me if I want to copy them and I say yes.............. be sure to put a recordable disk in there..........and then click yes........

Then check the disk to make sure that everything you wanted to keep is in there and you are good to go. Yes you can highlight several files and transfer them to the holding area at once.......Windows will remind you every once in a while that you have so many files ready to be copied.

Disks are cheap and it don't really take that long so make 2 or 3 of them and take one and put it at someone elses house just in case.......

Yes you can password protect them.........

Good Luck.

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-10-2007 - 3:15pm

Thanks so much Janet .. will try this.

Appreciate the advice and your time ..

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-11-2007 - 2:32pm
if you have a DVD burner and burning software you could use them too and 12GB would take approximately 3 single layer discs.
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-11-2007 - 3:27pm
Thanks for your input, appreciate it
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-13-2007 - 7:51am

I have never been able to figure out DVD / CD burning software.

Amy

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-13-2007 - 5:46pm

Hey if I could figure out Quick Books then the burning software should be a snap.......LOL.... I got a coupon one time when I bought something (printer or scanner don't remember now) I could get some software for free....Quick Books was on the short list.......Didn't take me long to uninstall it........

Then a friend of mine told me that she couldn't use it either because she found out it was to help manage her money and she didn't have any so the program was not only hard but didn't do her any good........lol....

I think too that businesses ought to have 2 avenues of back ups. And one of the secure paid for ones on the web would be good one to have besides the disks........

Thanks Janet

Have a nice day !.