About to pull out my hair - e-mail prob

iVillage Member
About to pull out my hair - e-mail prob
Sun, 07-15-2007 - 7:01pm
You know, overall our server is pretty good, it's Charter. And I don't expect all of their people to know everything. I have my main e-mail thru Charter, it's the one where somehow some e-mails addressed to ME arrive in DH's inbox instead. More recently it's that I flat out cannot use my main e-mail at all. I just looked and have not been able to send anything since July 6th; nothing has arrived since July 4th; there is a list of 5 e-mails in drafts that won't send. But it's telling me there is a list of like 28 unread e-mails I cannot access in that inbox. I am being prompted endlessly to enter my password. I have tried every possible thing I can think of but none opens my e-mail. It will attempt to download what's in the inbox, but pretty quickly I'm looking at the very same pop-up box again prompting me to plug in my password. I've called Charter twice now, they do not support OE anymore, but everybody I know is telling me this is all a server problem, anyhow. They just want me to call Microsoft for help. Charter was no help at all, the young guy was trying to say "you are IN your e-mail, right? so that means it's working". He told me he is not trained on OE. I was getting nowhere so I just finally hung up. This has happened before, being prompted endlessly to put in a password, and I swear to God I just called Charter and they reset the password from their end or whatever they did, and it was fine again - I did NOT need to call Microsoft. But this young guy tried a new password and it didn't work, it just took me back to the same prompt. All I want to do is make sure there isn't anything important in that bunch of e-mails, I'm notifying anybody who needs to know of my new web mail address at Charter. How the heck do you unlock this if even the server can't help? Do I really need to call Microsoft for this? I never had to do that in the past, so I am truly stumped and frazzled. I plan to just abandon this account as soon as I can. I've assumed for quite awhile I have a corrupted inbox, but am on my own figuring out all this.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-16-2007 - 1:01pm
Does your computer- have Microsoft Outlook Express? Is your mail coming into your Charter account- but thru Outlook? I ask because I just recently changed from a dial-up service that used AT&T/yahoo mail to our cable, TimeWarner that has it's own e-mail, RoadRunner. The mail still came "thru" Outlook however- what I had to go in and change was my POP & SMTP prompts (this is the in mail & out-mail servers)- this tells OutlookExpress where to send your mail (to which service) as it is coming in- it almost sounds like your POP/SMTP is not set correctly. I had to change mine for example because when I shut down the dial-up service I will loose access to that mail- so even though I put a forward from my AT&T/Yahoo account to my RoadRunner account I still had to go into Outlook & update the POP/SMTP information. When I contactd TimeWarner- they gave me step by step instructions on changing this and now my e-mai is correct.
Can you access any of your mail in Outlook?
If your service provider cannot give you proper instructions on updating your information- Mircosoft maybe able to tell you - but the information should come from the IP
Kathy
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-17-2007 - 10:19am
it sounds to me like your password needs to get reset again and Charter needs to do that for you. Just tell them to do it, don't say anything about OE, just say you want it reset or changed.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-18-2007 - 6:40pm
When I have an e-mail problem, or when I'm traveling, I use www.mail2web.com to pick up my mail. You can use that until your problem is solved. Hope this helps....Judy
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-19-2007 - 5:15pm
DH tried that for me, the messages will not come in. I'll try to call again in their non-busy hours and hopefully this time get hold of a tech who can actually help.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-20-2007 - 12:28am

Is this still on that old computer? The one you were having trouble with? MS usded to charge $35 per question when you called them....

But it really sounds like Charter should be able to help you cause I think it is on their end.......

I don't know what their email is like I have just used OE from this machine......but I also have accounts at Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail..........others too but rarely ever use them but I check the 4 every day........Why so many? I use one when I register with anything like websites and if I buy something from sears or something that has to be registered..........one I use for my groups email and one I use mostly for newsletters........and OE for fun.........

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-21-2007 - 8:46pm

I have a number of e-mails, too, same thing as you. The main Charter one everybody has access to, so I don't use that for anything private. Now I have the second one with Charter at their suggestion, at least it works fine. (The old one with Charter finally let me open "in" messages last night, just out of the blue the password worked, but it still won't let me "send" anything, so it's still wacked out.) I've had one with Yahoo for a long time, strictly for garbage mail. Then one with MyWay, which I used a lot until I realized it times out on you and if it does, you cannot even SAVE the long e-mail you're in the middle of, it's just gone; not to mention if MyWay goes down for maintenance, you also have NO WAY to save what you are working on, and the second you exit - which eventually you realize you have no choice about - that work is GONE, big boo boo with their e-mail - so that one isn't really getting used now. Now for personal stuff I use Gmail, which is password protected.

Yep, it's the same aging computer, we got it in 2001, didn't realize it was that old. I'm hunting for a buy on a new one. Not thrilled thinking of using a new operating system, but I have read several times recently XP won't be supported too much longer, meaning no more updates or security fixes or anything. At least we got back all those pictures, though! DH & I both need to put lots of stuff on CDs. It's like dust bunnies, it all multiplies at the speed of light....

Edited 7/21/2007 8:51 pm ET by joannaran

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 11:00pm

We're trying to hold off buying a new one until the old one totally dies, we have a laptop, too. Problem is a half-working computer is about as bad a a non-working one, probably worse. I need to get more serious about finding a new one. I'm finding so many "computers" do NOT come with a monitor nowdays, every one we've ever bought in the past included the monitor, so boy, you have to read all that fine print. Makes it easy to choose the flat panel screen, though, amazed I'm still seeing a few that come with the old hunkers!

Charter finally removed OE as my default e-mail tonight, it just continues to malfunction so badly. Plus - and don't ask me how this keeps happening, but it does - that e-mail account and the new one at Charter keep "crossing" and it's managing to do bizarre things. A few messages are still showing up in the inbox in OE, although I still cannot send anything there at all now. In the past, if I exited OE, ANY message in the inbox simply vanished for good - it did not end up in the deleted box, it was gone, as in gone. Welllll, today I had a few messages that showed up in both OE and the new Charter e-mail, they appeared in both inboxes. When I opened up OE today and exited, the same e-mails vanished - from BOTH inboxes. Don't ask, I have no idea why, but Charter said yes, that can happen. Hopefully that won't happen anymore, since the corrupted OE inbox isn't up and running now. We shall see.

But obviously this computer is causing so much trouble now that it's time. Anybody heard of Acer as a brand? That one, HP, Dell - those are the ones running all the ads everywhere now.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2007 - 5:30pm

I don't know about the Acer computers I don't know who makes them but my brother bought an Acer printer and he hated that thing and after about 2 weeks trying to get it to work right kicked it to the curb......his wife has pictures............lol

Have a nice day !.