Wireless phone problem

iVillage Member
Wireless phone problem
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 10:14am

Don't know if anyone has had this quirky problem!
We now have our internet connection thru cable- DS has a laptop so he bought a wireless-router that is hooked up so he can use his laptop in his room.

We had a wireless phone here in the computer room on the desk with our PC- the cable connection box & router are here too. Oddly whenever the phone would ring- and if we answered the wireless phone- if DS was on his computer- he would get bumped off! apparently the signal from the phone was interferring with the router signal to his computer! we have since disconnected the phone but I was wondering what really was causing this and if there was something we could do to stop it so we could use the wireless phone up here?
It's not earth shattering and at worse- I'll just get an inexpesnive corded phone to use up here.

Kathy
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 2:08pm
I have heard of this problem before. You can try changing the channel on the phone, many of them have that feature. Also you can change the channel on the router. Hopefully one or a combination of both will help. My router has I believe 12 channels and mine defaults to channel 6.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 1:03pm
I'll have my DS check this out!
Kathy