Stubborn mouse

iVillage Member
Stubborn mouse
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 10:17am
Hello! We have a HP, Windows XP, and use Norton's Internet Security. The computer is 2 years old, and used mainly for internet purposes. For a while now, we have been having problems with the mouse "hanging up". For example, when you try to click on something the arrow will pause below, above, or beside whatever it is that you wish to click. You then will have to giggle the mouse to get it moving again, and hope the next attempt will work. Any suggestions as to what may be wrong? My daughter said that the computers at the local library do this sometimes, too. Thanks to everyone!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 1:10pm

Does your mouse have a ball inside? when we had this type dirt/dust would get inside and clog it up making it work funny. While your computer is off- turn the mouse over and open it up & remove the ball. I would take a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol and run it along the inside- also would use tweezers to remove any visable dust bunnies. Clean the ball itself and then put it back in and close the back. This should work.

My current mouse is cordless- but when it gets jumpy & slow- it means it's time to change the batteries in it.

Kathy
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-25-2007 - 5:49pm

Sometimes no matter how well you clean it will still not work. The mouse will just wear out if it has the roller in it.

siggie