Not a fan of Vista here!!

iVillage Member
Not a fan of Vista here!!
Mon, 11-19-2007 - 12:52am

We just keep having one problem after another with this new Dell - they seem like small problems, at least.  I bought it in August and ASKED for XP but was told no, only Vista is available.  Not so now, though, DH says he heard thru the grapevine there have been so many complaints about Vista that Dell caved and has given the choice of Vista or XP for awhile.  I called Dell earlier (we supposedly have 24/7 support for one full year), was on the line for over a full hour and nothing got taken care of.  This person had me check and uncheck so many things that now some of my programs won't start at start-up now.  He tried to set up the thing where he takes control of the computer, but it wouldn't open for me.  After an hour, he wanted to give me another Dell number for Vista support (isn't that HIM???), but added that call would be for a fee!  Told him no way and finally gave up and hung up, after he told me "m'am, this call has already lasted for an hour".  It lasted for an hour because he kept going away and I could NOT understand his accent at all.  I also did what DH suggested and flat out told this rep we want Dell to send us XP, and he laughed.  Neither of us is a computer whiz here, and at first we took the entire set-up to the local computer guys and they configured what we couldn't figure out how to do, and he had it back to them with another problem about a month ago for something else, so this has not been problem-free, by any means. 

Anyway, the newest problem we're having has now been wound down to a Vista/IE problem.  If I try to make any type of bank transaction on this computer, or make any kind of credit card payment, or most of the time if you try to purchase anything online, a pop-up box appears that says "IE has stopped working...we wil try to diagnose the problem...IE is restarting (OR it'll take me back to the desktop).  Does anyone have any clue on this one?  If I call Microsoft, that will be for a fee, right? 

~~Joannaran near Boston, with Jessie and Jake~~

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-19-2007 - 6:07pm

Yes calling MS will cost you something at least $35.

Here are things in a nutshell...... http://www.eweek.com/slideshow/0,1206,a=213797,00.asp

click on the first picture and then the rest will come up, I thought it was interesting.

I mean what chance do the rest of us have if they tell us that Vista don't get along with IE7?

One guy said that Vista may be ready for the public about the time it should be retired.....

I know that XP won't be retired at least untill 2014. Looks like MS needs to do some work on IE 7 from what I have read......but then what if fixing IE for Vista breaks it for XP which is being run on most computers.

Looks like things are not playing nice on other search engines either Firefox says that it has trouble with it and so does some of the other ones.

Guess the only thing a person can do is to hope they can come up with fixes.

If I hear anything I will let you know.

Janett

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-19-2007 - 6:08pm

I do know how to spell my name but I hit the button and saw it and thought it would be easier to just try again......lol

Janet

Have a nice day !.