Problems even with new computer

iVillage Member
Problems even with new computer
Tue, 07-15-2008 - 11:33pm

I guess new or old, it's gonna happen.  I posted already that I keep getting "hijacked" back to my server's main page.  If I'm online a lot, it'll happen a lot.  I've already talked to Charter a couple of times, then to Microsoft.  Each said it was the other's problem, of course!  Last night I called Charter again in the wee hours and the tech had me shut down, then start up by hitting the on button and F8 button together, to get into "safe mode".  He was going to have me try some things with the "run" function.  Except the run function wouldn't show up.  We shut it down and started 3 times, no run function is visible in safe mode.  He said THAT is a problem with the computer itself and we needed to have it fixed, he can't help until I can see the "run" function. 

Anybody know anything else to try?  We've already easily eaten up the savings of buying a computer on sale having it fixed.  More than!  To me, if it were a Microsoft problem, surely they'd hijack me to THEIR page.  It only makes sense it's a Charter issue. 

~~Joannaran near Boston, with Jessie and Jake~~

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-28-2008 - 5:55pm

I just bought Vista Ultimate and installed it on my new Macintosh.

Amy

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-17-2008 - 7:43pm

In reference to your comment:

Amy

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-17-2008 - 7:19pm

Amy

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-17-2008 - 12:30pm

My sister is a graphic designer in Minneapolis and she says things like left click/right click?
What is that? Get a MAC.........lol I am sure that wouldn't solve all of the problems......lol I also know a couple people that hate the Macs that they have at work and have Windows at home. There are also tons of people that have not had any trouble except with the learning of a new OS when they got Vista. But hey, remember what they said about 98 and ME AND XP.

My only beef is that they can't come up with a security program that lets me use the computer sometimes. I liked Norton when it just took care of the viruses and let me take care of spam. When people ask me why when I get a new computer I am going to get way more ram than I need and it isn't because I am going to be gaming and film editing all at the same time it is just that I would like to be able to read email while the computer looks for phishing,spam,worms, viruses and anything else it looks for every minute of the day. When I first got XP on my desktop I had 24 programs running when I started the computer and that would go up to 29 then back down. Now with the latest version of Norton (just the anti virus edition) with the free worm, spam and whatever scanning the running programs is 32 and up to 44. That is when I am not doing anything. Not fair is it? LOL

I am looking forward to my new computer at home this fall. But it could tick me off if Vista is replaced just when it is doing a good job......lol Never fails.....lol

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-17-2008 - 10:38am

Amy

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-17-2008 - 3:08am
Thank you!

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-16-2008 - 9:33am