Spontaneous Restart w/ no warning

iVillage Member
Spontaneous Restart w/ no warning
Wed, 08-06-2008 - 10:23pm

A couple of weeks ago I finally upgraded our AVG & AdAware protections.  Now it seems like since then the pc does a restart, suddenly, all times of the day, etc.  I'm also getting messages that we have no firewall (don't know of a reliable free one), and virtually NO free memory available.  Could these be the root of the problem?  My neighbor says he will put in more memory for us if we buy it (plus he'll tell us what to get).  But pinpointing him is really difficult.  My sister says it involves opening the tower and that intimidates me!

Thanks in advance.

Oh, sorry, I kind of haven't asked a pc question in a while, we have Windows XP.  Don't know what other info you'd need, if you ask me I'll try to figure out how to find it.
---
Peace,
Max

In peace,
Max       

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-08-2008 - 9:32am

Having no free memory is not a good thing and could be the reason is it restarting all the time. Having no firewall would not cause it. You should at least have the windows firewall turned on and if you are getting a balloon message saying you have no firewall then you need to turn on the windows one. These guys have a decent free firewall which would be better than the windows one:

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

If your neighbor knows what he is doing then I wouldnt feel intimidated to open up the tower and putting in more memory, it will help out your PCs performance alot.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-08-2008 - 1:41pm

You could have a trojan or virus here are some answers that may help.....

Have a nice day !.