"Warning" notice over and over and over

iVillage Member
"Warning" notice over and over and over
Thu, 09-18-2008 - 11:51pm
After posting earlier in the week, I decided I'd try AVG again, we've been trying Windows Live One Care's anti-virus program just for awhile now.  It seems like the problems I wrote about a few days ago might be connected to it, so I opted to deactivate that and download AVG again.  Not THE best, but not bad and it is free.  AVG will not complete the installation, it keeps saying there is an "error" and cannot complete the installation.  I even went directly to Grisoft to download it.  I had an icon on my desktop for it, but it was NOT showing up in the uninstall function, so basically it was NOT there.  So....I re-activated One Care instead.  Now I'm getting this endless prompt - it's a box that simply says "warning" at the upper left, has a box you can check that says "do not show this message again", and then there's the X at the upper right to exit.  I've clicked on "do not show...." a zillion times, but that box just keeps showing up, AND it does not say what it is, no sign at all where it's coming from.  Anybody know anything about this??  That pop-up shows up with nearly every web page you open, including HERE. 

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-19-2008 - 12:05pm

I really don't know first hand about One Care except that in a newsletter I read that it wasn't the best thing. I didn't have it so I didn't check it out....so I went to the CNet reviews to see what they had to say...

http://reviews.cnet.com/online-software-services/windows-live-onecare/4505-9239_7-31899024.html

This guy usually has good reveiws

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-19-2008 - 6:54pm

Janet, I was opting

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-19-2008 - 7:02pm
Aha, I think the first article might tell the story.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-19-2008 - 7:28pm

When it was time to re-up Norton on this laptop (it came with internet security) I downloaded AVG then I disconnected from the internet and ran the uninstall for Norton then I ran a search for Norton and got rid of everything I could find. Then I rebooted. Then I ran another search and when I was sure there was no more Norton I installed AVG. That seemed to work for me.

When I go to the Dell site to see what my new computer will cost it always has McAfee or Norton sometimes Trend that comes with it. I don't want all that stuff that comes with their internet security. So when I call them I will tell them they can not send anything or just give me an anti virus and forget all that other stuff.....

I don't use Popup stopper anymore since IE has one and I don't get pop ups it must be working.

If the new version of IE comes on my new computer that will be fine but I don't think I will download it on the older machines.

Good Luck.....

Janet

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-20-2008 - 3:43pm

It still will not allow the AVG installation to complete.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-21-2008 - 8:43am

Janet...heads up for you.

siggie
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-25-2008 - 1:46am
Found it.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-26-2008 - 9:39am

Avira has a free antivirus thats good too, you might want to give that a shot. I dont have it but I installed it on a neighbors pc and she has had no troubles.

http://www.free-av.de/