Changing Internet Providers

iVillage Member
Changing Internet Providers
Fri, 01-23-2009 - 4:00pm
I'm changing Internet providers. We're going to check out the new Fios. My ? is..... what happens to my outlook calendar and email? I know to tell transfer my email address, but what about my outlook stuff?

fh4000.gif picture by hannahsmomma

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-25-2009 - 1:27pm

Everything should stay the same. When we go to the camper I connect to a different ISP and nothing changes. Well till you change it you may have their web page when you go on the internet but you can get rid of that if you want.

Your Outlook and Outlook Express, calendar should stay the same because it in on your computer not stored with the ISP.... I don't know what they use but if your address was

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 8:10pm

Thank you so much, Janet. That totally makes sense. I did open a live.com email account with Microsoft. That way I can get my email where ever I am. :)

I've heard bad things about Verizon. I hope I'm not making a mistake. They use Direct TV, Comcast doesn't.

fh4000.gif picture by hannahsmomma

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-26-2009 - 9:58pm

Our internet comes from our phone company and we have had the best luck with it. We bought our Directv waaaay before you got anything free we paid for the dish,reciever and to have it installed...at that time we were told that since we had cable in town if someone called and asked if we could get cable we were to tell them no......which was ok because our cable at the time was awful.

We paid our bill through the light company in another town. Then about 2 years ago our phone company told use that they were now a Directv provider. When I called and asked if I could get everything on one bill they told me that they would have

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-25-2009 - 10:39pm
A friend of mine uses Verizon and swears by it.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-26-2009 - 12:31am
Hello there, it's been a couple of weeks and so far so good. No complaints. :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-26-2009 - 7:32am

**** We have Charter now, issues everywhere but I guess it could be worse. ****

You have charter for internet or tv?

The only problem I have with charter internet is that I have to unplug and plug in the cable modem/router I bought specifically for their internet service.

Amy
~~~Think Organic, Save a tree, Preserve our earth ~~~

The WeatherPixie

Amy

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-26-2009 - 11:41pm
We have Charter for internet, t.v. and phone now.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-27-2009 - 9:07am
I have always made it a point, when I am writing a somewhat large email and have invested alot of typing, that I do it in Word or Wordpad or something external to the browser. The browser based email has just been too flaky historically and i have lost too many. I have lost them upon sending too, you click Send and then it cant contact their server and poof its gone. So I use another word processing program first and when its all done then copy it into the browser. If you accidentally hit the close on Word or something , it always asks you if you want to save it, so you are always protected.
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-27-2009 - 10:04pm

I have always had the problem of iVillage being very slow......sometimes when I would write a long post I would hit Preview Message and eventually a screen would come up and it might as well say What message?

I have learned too to copy my post before I send it just in case and it has saved me a lot of agravation....lol

But it is not my ISP cause other sites are not like this...

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-27-2009 - 10:15pm

I have a problem too. After being able to download from 4 Shared for a long time it suddenly started to pop up a note that said my connection ot the internet was lost, and if that wasn't it check my antivirus settings or my firewall....I did all the right things and even called my isp which is my phone company they said there is no reason to drop a download because 100mb should be no problem at all. It is probably 4S. So I emailed them again and they went on telling me that they didn't have a problem and I said I was downloading so what is going on.....finally they tell me (suprise, suprise) that if I would buy their product that I wouldn't have that problem or anyother problem at all.....

I was *ticked* to say the least. I told them I have been downloading files from them on my wireless laptop in the living room and bringing them in to the desktop and I guess I can keep doing that. They wrote back saying that "You don't lose connection on your laptop?" And I said that is right and they better not do anything to change that....I mean how can it be my isp if I used to download on the desktop but can still download on the laptop......Pay for their service indeed. If I did that I would insiste that they get 100mb file to me in 10seconds or less. Just putting the pressure on.......lol.......

I have never used an outside isp we have always used the phone company and unless something wild happeded like someone cut a cable somewhere we always get an email telling us that they will be doing maintenance between 3 and 5 am.....You know I never got up to see if they really were or not......lol

Good luck......

Have a nice day !.

Pages