IM SPAM

iVillage Member
IM SPAM
Mon, 03-16-2009 - 8:36pm
I don't know what website I ever went to or why I started getting it but the last few weeks I have been getting IM SPAM where people on MSN will IM and send stuff like veiw me on my webcam and post a link.  One says in big letters at the end of the message, THIS IS NOT SPAM and that if I reply I will be off their list.  It sure is SPAM.  I will not reply though.  I am not aware of any such sites I would have went to.  I am NOT interested especially since they all say they are girls.  I am a girl and I am NOT interested.  So I figured out that I can go in and click to block everyone not on my list so they can't send me IM's but I still keep getting them even though everyone not on my list is blocked.  I block at least 5 or 6 different names that all pretty much say the same thing in the IM every day.  Any idea how to stop it short of changing my email name.  I so don't want to do that!  BTW, it is Trillian, not regular MSN messneger.

boyspics2.jpg picture by pepperderr   

1st, 2nd & 3rd grade board

GuardReserves2.gif image by pepperderr ththoifvet-hunny.jpg image by pepperderr

iVillage Member
In reply to: mommy980004
Tue, 03-17-2009 - 1:16am
You're right, it definitely IS spam.

~~joannaran~~

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-17-2009 - 3:37pm

I did it before and it didn't help.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-19-2009 - 1:00pm

Now this is my opinion so do anyone yell at me......

When I first heard about Trillian on the tv computer show Call for Help. I thought wow I could talk to everyone across 4 IMs and now have to download all of them that is sweet.........

Downloaded it and had so much fun untill everyone I knew from 4 IMs happen to start talking to me all at once........lol........still fun.....

About the 3rd time I updated it I got something like some toolbar maybe MSN or Yahoo something. I didn't want and I couldn't get rid of it.....and was told at Trillian that I needed to read the directions on installing and uncheck where it said Do you also want to install.......I got rid of it and things went smoothly cause all I had to do was update after than not download it again....

In Dec. I got a new computer. Downloaded Trillian read everything. Unchecked where it said Do you also want the Ask toolbar? The Weather Channel desktop 6? Uncheck.....I was very careful......then finally went ahead and installed.....

Low and behold I had the Ask toobar and the Weather Channel installed. I was shall we say TICKED........ The toolbar I uninstalled with no problem. But I still have the WC desktop...because it don't install the file to uninstall......I aske around the internet and everyone either they want the thing or they have been trying to get rid if it since it came out......I tried on the WC to find out something but couldn't. Then on the Trillian board they told me exactly what others had told me to do that didn't work. But there was also a BTW the Weather Channel is aware of the problem and promise to fix it in the next version of their Desktop.......I am about ready to just throw Trillian as far as I can because their next statement is something I had alread heard this year from 4shared.......
"If you purchase our product there is not other downloads or anything hidden in there. So please feel free to check out our Pro version."

Guess what? If I was dumb enough to now go pay for it .......would that get rid of the WC that the free program installed? Well no it wouldn't but ..........

If you have the free version of Trillian then it just might be one of those free things that you got, aren't you lucky? If you have the paid version get on them and make them fix it ......that is not what you are paying for........

My story I hope will help others. Trillian is a very good program and I understand the need to make money and I would be willing to pay some for it......yes I would. But on the other hand a disclaimer right on their page where you can find it would also be nice.

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-14-2009 - 4:03pm

Edited 5/14/2009 7:06 pm ET by savvyuser
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 10:06am

I agree EXCEPT that Trillian is the only IM program that I have had that hasn't messed up my computer.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-15-2009 - 12:45pm

I use Trillian too. And it was partly my fault after using it and downloading the updates or upgrades for a few years I didn't bother to read any of their Stickies on their forum because I trusted them. The first time I did get some program that I didn't want. Then when I went to post the problem on their forum they directed me to the Sticky about it at the top of the forum...... So I assumed that since they were so nice to give a free program that they wouln't do things like this. Sure enough the Sticky note said that in order to just get Trillian and nothing else......to uncheck.......I agree it SHOULD say IF

Have a nice day !.