playing dvd's on a digital tv

iVillage Member
playing dvd's on a digital tv
Sat, 09-05-2009 - 1:35pm

I know this is a puter board but am hoping my question is basic and dumb enough that probably everyone here knows the answer.

I finally got both the digital tv's hooked up. the problem is i cant figure out how to play dvd's on the TV . obviously either i am not hooking something up right or something.

Am sure it is something simple i just dont know how to do.  the TV manual illustration does not quite match what i on the back of my tv.   the back has 2 plugs which i think i am supposed to put the

neither of these products are still being sold. the TV is an olevia. the DVD is a panasonic.

THE TV has one plug that i plugged the antennae into and that is right.  then to the right of that are two plugs which say in I think along with L   and there are 2 matching ones on  a few inches to the right.  there are also some serial slots too, but what i have to plug in is a red/white and yellow cord. there is a matching 3 plug on the dvd player.  i also tried plugging in the old 2 pronged one from a really old vhs player that worked to hook it to 2nd vhs player.

there is a source code button on the controller for tv and that lists component, s video hmdi, tuner and vga.  and all except the tuner one show no signal message and black screen.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-06-2009 - 6:45pm

Someone will come by that can answer you.....but I am not sure without looking at it.

We got a different camper this spring. It came with a DVD combo that the guy we bought it from said he never used because he didn't know how to figure it out either.

Well we have it all plugged in and we put in a disk and it will say that it has a disk but we couldn't get it to play.....well on the remote for our tv it has Video 1 Video

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-07-2009 - 4:27am

I finally got it figured out!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-08-2009 - 10:29am

Glad you got it working. I have some experience with this stuff. The 3-color cord that you were talking about is called Component video and so yeah you would need a matching 3 inputs on your tv for that, similar to what you had on your DVD player output. Since you listed out all the source inputs you can choose from on your TV(you said they all came up blank or no signal), you listed Component as one of those. That tells me that your TV has the Component inputs and thus you could plug the 3 color wire directly from the DVD player to your TV and then choose Component from your TV input menu. The serial looking slots on the back are HDMI input for your TV but you would need your DVD player to have HDMI output and its very possible your DVD player does not have that.

While hooking it up via the RF modulator works, the Component would give you much better picture quality, something like High Definition quality actually. So if I were you I would try using the Component cables and see if you can get it to work, you might be pleasantly surprised by the quality.

One thing to remember if you use the Component cable is then you must have an audio cable for the sound since the 3 color cable only carries the video signal. So for the sound you need a two color cable and it goes into the (L)left and (R)right audio outputs on your DVD player and the left and right audio inputs on your TV.

If your DVD player had HDMI output, that type of cable carries the audio and the video all in one so it is much easier to deal with and obviously not nearly as messy with the the cables in back.

If you have any questions just ask. :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-08-2009 - 5:10pm

I have been told that HD flat panel tvs and DVDs and all the other new stuff is so much better than what I have. Well maybe they think so,but for right now I happen to think that it is mine and paid for is better....LOL...... When the time comes that I NEED a new tv I will check things out.. but I am not going to do the same thing I did when the little satellite dishes came out.....and just right in. We paid full price and got no freebies at the time......A couple years later they were giving away the dish and 4 recievers. So when my tv goes out which might be a while I will have to have a new dish too. It never ends does it?
But in the mean time in the camper if I want to watch a video I can have someone come over and start it for me....lol........some day I will understand how it works...lol

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-08-2009 - 5:29pm

My problem was the back of VCR has the 3 prong plug and the RV does not have that. It has the L & R double plug ins. It also has HDMI, and maybe 1 other flat pin plug of some kind.( obviously my language shows the depth(????) of my techie knowledge!!

What can you expect though from a person who did not leave Windows 3.1 until Y2K came up and was told 3.1 would no longer work.