Need help with Vista

iVillage Member
Need help with Vista
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 10:43pm

We bought a new computer a couple weeks ago. It is a gateway computer and has vista. I have had to get used to this as I had xp. Anyway the first week was ok, but now for some reason when the computer is started in the morning I get this black screen that comes up over the desk top and the icons and it says C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe.   Can anyone tell me why this screen is coming up and what I should do about it ? Thanks

Linda

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-19-2009 - 8:01am

I forgot to say that it does go off after a few seconds but when we first got the computer it did not do that, so it must be something I did. It does not take up the whole screen, maybe 5-6 inces across and 3-4 inches deep. So I still see the desktop and the icons.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-20-2009 - 3:24pm

The only thing I can think of is start your computer in safe mode......if that black pops up if it is still there then it is probably Windows.... since it is new it is probably covered and the place you bought it should fix it....like it is a missing file or a corrupt file...

If it don't pop up you could have a virus you are running an up to date anti virus arn't you?

Try running your anti virus and see if it finds something.

You could also open your start up menu Start, Run

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-20-2009 - 9:42pm
Thank you for helping. I tried the anti virus thing and it says I have no virus, it is a norton anti virus .
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 11:48am
In the Startup tab on the msconfig window, look in the 'Command' column, drag the width of the column out with your mouse so you can see all of it, and look for anything ending in cmd.exe and if you find anything then uncheck that row. No guarantees you will find anything, but it is worth a shot.