Tips on megapixels

iVillage Member
Tips on megapixels
Mon, 12-07-2009 - 10:04pm

If you go out looking for a camera and someone says you have to have or you need lots of megapixels really think about it. There are more important things to look for in a camera than that....really...I know what they tell you but they are wrong..

Now, if I printed a lot of photos they would be 4x6" because that is what I like. Then I must need 8MP right? My old 3.2 MP would do just fine.  They talk about enlarging a photo.... 8x12 is a pretty standard picture like for graduation or something that you would hang on the wall.. 10MP? No around a 5 would be just fine....

What they are talking you into with MP is if you would like to print something in the size of 30x45 inches....take a tape measure and check out how huge that would be? How many of them are you going to have made in your lifetime? LOL see what I mean?

Do your research on the zoom, lens, anything but MP... put more money into other things you will be happier with your photos if you do and you will save some money. Because there are so many people that are going to bite on the 16 or higher MP there will be some very good cameras out there with around 8MP good zooms and lens etc for a lot less money......

I found this chart that will help you get some idea of what MP and picture quality....and if you want the quality for a huge blow ups you are going to pay...lol

http://www.lesjones.com/2008/07/15/megapixels-vs-print-size/

Remember to ask about the Optical zoom NOT the digital......I hope they stop using digital zoom someday soon....

Happy camera hunting....

Here is Kim Komando's guide to entry level digital cameras....

http://www.komando.com/buyguide/index.aspx?id=1318&page=1

There is nothing like home for the Holidays.

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 8:12am

If you want 8x10 you

Visit My Blog Reflections&Inspirations by Pam

"When you stop chasing the wrong things, you give the right things a chance to catch you."

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 6:48pm

I have wasted very little paper trying to print my own photos...I am to picky about how they come out....so I take them and have them done by people that know this stuff...lol.....funny too I have printed some great cards and things but photos I don't like the photos printed at home.

Not many people are going to want a wall size photo and you can't do them at home anyway.....and I can't afford them. I talk almost all my photos in hi res...

But the the sales people can talk someone into a more expencive camera by telling them they need more MP and that is not nice....

My one sister says of her portable printer that it don't matter that the photo don't look 100% if you can get it instantly....I do not agree with that I want all my photos to be good. She thinks I am crazy....lol.....
Who is right? Depends on who you talk to.......lol

Thanks

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-08-2009 - 7:42pm

You are saving your orginal edited photos at 300resolution and the best image quality in

Visit My Blog Reflections&Inspirations by Pam

"When you stop chasing the wrong things, you give the right things a chance to catch you."