"ATTENTION" SCAM ALERT

iVillage Member
"ATTENTION" SCAM ALERT
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 11:26am

I recived the newsletter from my ISP this moring and they had a warning about a email scam wanting you to do a H1N1 profile....you should never do this upon request in an email anyway but this one is a scam....

Here is the alert from the CDC(Center for Disease Control)

http://www.cdc.gov/hoaxes_rumors.html

Here is where I am going to go into my rant...................

Banks and other businesses like your Insurance or credit union will never email you and ask you for private information....SS number, birthdate etc.....so the best thing to do is not to open these emails but if you do make sure that you DO NOT RESPOND................DELETE.

Any time you recieve an email that looks strange such as, one that looks like it was sent to you from you, DELETE . If there is no subject...DELETE. Sounds strange to you, DELETE. Anything with attachments don't even open, unless you are expecting something from someone and you know who it is....otherwise ..DELETE.

And here is another big one that you think is harmless but can be bad.......

Let's put a stop to chain letters.....Sign and send to all your friends...... Save a childs life by signing and sending to everyone you know, help the government stop the signing of this bill, sign the petition and send to everyone you know, don't break the letter or we will lose all the names....in other words don't break the chain......

Think about it...... how would signing an email and forwarding it on stop anything? IT WILL NOT. There are 2 things it will do..... Let the person who started it think he (or she) is so smart because they got a lot of stupid signatures on a bogus email and how many times it can come around to him..... The second thing it does is puts your email address out there for anyone to pick up and use as they see fit....Actually that is how I got most of my old classmates email addresses is that one of them sent me a chain letter and I got the addresses from it..

If you use Outlook Express or Windows Mail close the preview pane of the email. So all you can't see the opened email. Make it so you have to double click on it to open in.....that will give you a couple seconds for you to deside if you really want to open it or not and also nothing can automatically execute on opening. You would have to click on it first

To close the preview pane go to View, Layout, and take the check mark out of Show Preview pane... That works in OE and WM .

Also here is what I do if I am not sure about something or someone.....

In OE or WM this can be done.  I have one person I am not sure their computer health is that great so I never open their emails instead I will right click on it....go to Properties, Details, Message Source......you can look into the email....if it has something they wrote I can read it without pictures or whatever and noting will execute.. That is where you can also see where the email came from and anyones elses address that is in there...

Think about this. If you ever wonderd why you get so much junk mail? Even if you are being very careful.......I read that an Forwarded email can go around the world in a matter of seconds....SECONDS. That it can be a matter of a few minutes that millions and millions of people the good and the bad has your address.... How to stop this from happening is one person at a time.. Never send forwards, if you have to do it by hiding other peoples addresses.....and if something you get from someone is so cute that you have to send it on copy it and save it to your computer and then send it fresh to someone....

Remember when you hit REPLY All that means that maybe an ADULT  joke is going to go to young people and ministers, and others that might not think they are funny.

I don't open attatchments or send or forward a forward....and todate I have never had a virus.

Last of all before I quit pulling on your ear...

If you don't have an Anti virus GET ONE. If you don't have a firewall GET ONE. The one that comes with Windows is not a good one you need something that watches what is coming in and going out... There are free AV and FW that you can get just Google them. If you have an old one on your computer that has run out .....right now go uninstall it and get a free one for right now.....please.....

There I probably forgot something but you get the gist of it all.......If you have questions ASK.

Be safe......

Trying to stay warm.

Have a nice day !.