Computer starting the reboot samba again

iVillage Member
Computer starting the reboot samba again
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 7:41pm

I posted last winter about my computer rebooting on its own.  I ended up having to take it in to have it repaired when one of the reboots lost some of the BIOS stuff.  Got it back and they had added RAM as I requested.  However it did still reboot.  I did get a heavier duty power surge protector which told me that the outlet i was using had a line fault. So I then ran the surge protector to a different outlet.  Then it seldom rebooted to the point there were months it did not happen at all.

However as we got way below zero temperatures here in WI, it has now started doing it again.  I questioned if it might be the furnace running so much was affecting or dipping what power it was getting. So then I got a backup battery one. Then shortly after that, we had some sleet and fun weather and I was at the puter when the house powere flickered off and back on. It was enough for the microwave to show power failure.  The backup battery surge protector did kick in for a very short time cuz it has a little beeping sound, but about the same time the puter rebooted again. It also did it a couple other times the same nite.  

The timing just seems to indicate the puter has more problems when the furnace has to kick in a lot.  The furnace is new...its a gas one, and I can say that it is not using as much power as the old oil guzzler that got replaced when I bought the house in 2008!  When that kicked in sometimes the lights would flicker as the banging and noisy motor would start up. 

I have been told by puter person that it is possible the power supply might have been affected by the bad electrical outlet I had been using and now its just more sensitive to fluctuations on the power. 

So now I am debating taking it to store and having them replace the power supply...which I think will probably be just under $100 if they put it in.  I am not sure if this makes sense or not.  New puters have  gotten so much cheaper I could probably get a pretty good one for not all that much more.  I just hate changing stuff and really am not that crazy about having to rearrange everything to find room for a new computer.

Does tossing another $100 on the current one make sense?  Mine uses Windows XP which I am very comfortable with.  Also I have debated maybe getting a laptop....but  really don't have the room to put that up in addition to a desktop. 

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 9:23am
I would say if your computer works good other than the rebooting thing and you are very comfortable with xp, then its worth getting the power supply replaced. A new one would have Windows 7 on it, which would be fine and I think you could get used to it, but you would spend at least $300 to $400 on a new desktop or laptop. I build my own computers and it is very easy to replace a power supply but if you know nothing about it then its best to leave it to the professionals. Its always a big job moving to a new computer. Trying to move all your files and bookmarks and reinstalling the programs you use.
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 6:32pm

Just curious, how long have you had your computer?

Powered by CGISpy.com
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 7:31pm

If you mean a black screen with a little curser line blinking you wer in the DOS part of the computer.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 7:39pm

I confess I still have not finished moving everything from the old puter I got in 1999 shortly before Y2K. That was because I was told windows 3.1 would stop working!!

I am comfortable with this one and would like to keep it running another year or so and then maybe i would go to a laptop.

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 1:44pm

I did some searching about the rebooting problem and it really could be a number of things.

First of all, before I would try and fix a computer I would get someone in to see if there is an electical problem in your house...not that there is but so you can rest assured that, that is NOT the problem. But with lights dimming and such maybe even the furnace is faulty or even a bad thermostadt (I am not going to spell check...lol)

Then you always have to think that you may have a bad computer.....or maybe it needs a better fan because something is getting to hot in there. What makes me mad is that a fan costs less than $10 and if you put in a bunch of stuff and find out that for that 300- 400 dollars you could ahve a honkin' computer about paid for......know what I mean?

Here is a bit of information that might help. Or make you pull your hair out..lol

http://www.technibble.com/computer-keeps-restarting-without-warning/

Then you have to think that maybe there was an update to Windows or some other software (anti virus, firewall etc) that your computer just don't like.

Now I would like to tell you something about when I get a new computer. That would be excited, can't wait to check out the new operating system. I started with Windows 98. It was worse than having the flu. Then the bad XP came out and everyone said how bad it would be you know it turned out that even the real geeks now say it was the best one ever....

Well, Vista isn't the be all either I guess but I really like it ....there are only a couple things that I really don't like about it but I am getting over it. I am not going to trade it in for Windows 7 think I will wait for maybe 8-9....lol

But space? For one Dell has a computer that takes up less space than a phone book , pair that with a flat screen monitor and you could have a very nice set up that you could set up in the space of a serving platter. Or about the space of a large size laptop.

I think it is fun to start all over. Out with the old and in with the new.

But it is up to you.... having someone else work on things costs and then the parts plus the fact that it is already 5 years old.... and now they are saying that if a laptop works good for about 3 years it was a good one.... I hope they mean one that really gets moved a lot cause mine is 5 years old and I didn't want to replace it quite yet either.. But you know. I am thinking since I take the laptop to the camper and leave it at the desk in there and plug it in, that if it dies I will replace it with one of those small desktops. It would be just as easy to take home in the fall as the laptop...HUMMMM.... be at the camper and have a bigger screen too? Let's just say when Dell sends me the right deal I will give my laptop to a grandbaby.....lol

Good luck with what ever you do.....

Have a nice day !.
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 7:46am

Thanks so much for posting all this information. I didn't know the tip about laptops. I have a Macintosh, but I installed Windows Vista on half of the hard drive and spend most of my time in Windows. We just can't afford all new Macintosh software. I bought it in August of 2008.

Notifications and Digests