1st Doctor's visit

iVillage Member
1st Doctor's visit
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 6:56am
Well, I had my first ob visit this week. It was a hoot. The nurse ws so worried when she called me back because "my yearly checkup and pap smear is not due until may and if we do it now then your insurance won't pay".... I just looked at her and said I'm not here for a yearly check up, I am here for my first ob visit! She looked so surprised. The doctors visit went fine. He wants to set me up with genetic counseling to determine whether or not they recommend amniocentisis, started me on vitamins and iron and then did the physical. I was 6 weeks, 4 days by my count and he said that I felt much larger than that so asked for an immediate sonogram to rule out twins. The ultrasound showed just one little peanut :). We would have loved twins, but that would have been so hard on me physically. THe ultrasound tech measured the baby at 6 weeks and 5 days and I got to hear and see the heartbeat. It was wonderful.

I am staying real tired and my level of nausea/fatigue seems to exponetially related to my level of constipation! Since this is my first pregnancy, I am learning about all this and everyone at work is laughing there butts off because I keep thinking that I am the only one who has had this problem. They all said "oh no... that is just the beginning" I am like " where was all the whining and complaining about your bowels in all those books I read !!!" It is so fun and wonderful... I just have to remember to try and get out of bed and go to work because it would be so wonderful to just stay in bed.

I continue to lurk and see how everyone else is doing. I still don't like these new message boards, maybe because I am not posting as much, it is harder for me to get used to it. Hope all are well, and baby dust to all,

Donna

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-18-2003 - 4:46pm
Thanks for your update DOnna. It is always great to hear from a 'grad' and know that your pregnancy is doing well!!! Have a good restful weekend ~ Pat
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 6:28am
Hi Donna, congrats on your good news! Just a note about the little discomfort you are feeling at this time. I also went through it. Alot of it is normal, plus the iron does not help at all. I had to drink more water and eat more fiber, like cereals... fruit and fiber was really helpful. Also if you can get a 30 minute walk in, that helps alot. I think when we are tired, we dont move around alot and that does not help either. Best of luck to you!

Cheryl
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 11:45am
Hi, Donna:

I, too, just recently had my first ob dr. visit. I am currently 9 weeks. Had some problems at first with bleeding, but so far ok. I saw and heard the heartbeat of my little peanut, too. It is awesome. At 42, I can relate to all your symptoms! I am having my first successful pregnancy. I wish you all the best!

Lisa