New to the board - 44 years old

iVillage Member
New to the board - 44 years old
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 10:41pm

Hi All! My name is Stacy and I am 44 years old. I met my husband in Jan 2008. We were engaged that summer and after 2 months of trying, we conceived in Dec 2008.

I had purchased the OV-Watch and that was all that I was using when we got pregnant. Needless to say, we were shocked. I had hoped at 43 that I would still have a chance, but couldn't believe it worked! On a sad note, we lost that baby last March 2009. We have been trying to conceive again since last summer. Some months are better than others with our timing, etc.

So, I finally decided that since I wasn't ready to let this go, maybe I should contact an RE and see what they have to say. Well, he was very nice and caring, but not very encouraging. Anyway, I pressed him, and he agreed to put me on Clomid (100mg CD 5-9). We did the Clomid challenge. FSH on day 2 was 5.1 and on day 10 was 10.2. With those numbers he said that we could move forward with an IUI. When we do the IUI they will check hubby's sperm, so we will know where we stand with that.

In the meanwhile, I am waiting to ovulate. They have me using at home OPK's. Normally I always ovulate on day 13. Well, I am on day 16 and still no positive OPK. It has me a little on edge. I also use fertility friend, which normally detects my ovulation based on my bbt, but this month it isn't showing any ovulation either.

I just wish I could have an ultrasound for reassurance that I haven't missed it or that it is forthcoming. I think I am going to call them tomorrow if I still have a negative and ask for them to take a look.

For those of you that are my age and using fertility drugs... are you on clomid or injectables? I thought clomid was for younger women who had time to try this or that for 3 or 6 months. I guess I just assumed they would give me injectables and monitor me for an IUI.

Also, how late do you ovulate on clomid? I never ovulate this late.

Thanks for any words of encouragement!

Stacy

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 10:58pm

Stacy, welcome to the board and I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 8:06pm

Hello Stacy,

I'm sorry for your loss as well and wanted to welcome you to the boards. I too am 44 y.o. We're dealing with male infertility at this time. We gave IUI a try in Jan. and will be trying again this month. My #'s checked out ok, but now it's time for another FSH & estrad. test tomorrow. I am not on meds and can't offer any input on that, just wanted to offer my support. Continue charting, but don't drive yourself nuts over it. Keep us updated and hope you get your bfp real soon.

Me: 44, Dh 40. TTC #1

wannabmommy07

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 12:26pm

hi, Stacy,
Welcome to the board!
I never had luck with the OPKs until this month. When I was on clomid, they gave me a trigger shot.
I recently went to an RE who really disliked clomid. My advice to you is to go to other alternatives as fast as possible if this doesn't work.

Like you, I got pregnant right away in the beginning, then had a m/c. Since then, no luck. Somehow our bodies freaked out!

good luck and keep us posted, martha

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 9:14am

Stacy,

First off, let me say I am so sorry for your loss last year:(

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 6:12am

Hi Stacy,

First, welcome aboard...and I hope your journey is a short and fruitful one!!

Me: 45 ~ Fiance: 58, together since 12/04

1 Furbaby: Tia (Siamese)