42? Oh sure, NOW my bio-clock goes off!

iVillage Member
42? Oh sure, NOW my bio-clock goes off!
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 2:18am

OK, as a 42 y.o. with a Day 3 FSH of 10.6 & Estradiol of 67-ish, I gather this board is a "safe space," which is good cuz I truly am kind of chicken about TTC! Never pregnant before, but never tried, either. Thanks for being here.

Deets: My husband has a vasectomy (2 kids already), and I'm meeting with an RE next week to get opinions on whether hubs should try a reversal, or whether --given my age and numbers-- we should just move straight away to ART like IVF, and do sperm retrieval on him. (Which, I guess, would mean I wouldn't be the only one in the household with some needles in my future...)

Right now, I'm taking pre-natal vitamins -OH THE IRONY- with DHEA & fish oil, evening primrose oil, plus Vitex and Chinese herbs for female hormonal balance ("Heavenly Water"). Also going to acupuncture, trying to stay calm with mediation and yoga, and, um, maybe, just possibly, occasionally avoiding baby-saturated environments. You know, for, ah, psychological reasons. Gosh, I gotta tell ya, once you get TTC on your mind, you'll notice those things are everywhere! :P

Any New York girls have any thoughts on NYU vs. Cornell for all-around quality of care? I'm all ears.

Anyway, Hi!

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 7:31pm

Oh sweet--will check them out, too, if NYU seems off to me. (Definitely going on my gut more than stats, given that I know I need to keep stress down so personal comfort will be key, and also, each woman is different and stats only tell you so much).

Can you tell me why you chose RMA over the other places?

May also look at New Hope, though my FSH (for now) indicates I may still be taken at NYC/Cornell, etc etc.

I do not quite get why, for some of us, we can go years and years and years being ok with the family we have, then BOOOOOM! the baby-urge drops on us like an Acme safe in a Roadrunner cartoon! Dang.

My situation is somewhat complicated by, how do you call it? "Male Ambivalence Factor" (hee hee), but while he's on the fence, I need to see what my options are, since TTC naturally, post-vasectomy, really seems like seriously long-shot odds I am not prepared to depend upon, ya know?

Anyway, continued good wishes to you! Tell me any stories ya got on your RE/TTC clinic experiences as they happen. All ears! :)

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 8:02pm

Chick,

Dr. Licciardi at NYU is one of the best RE's in the country. If I lived in NYC (I'm in LA, so wrong coast!) I'd see him in a heartbeat...

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 8:06pm

Thanks, sweetness! I'm starting out with a consult with Dr. Keefe, another NYU RE who also has great credentials. I have my Day 3 blood work done, and we'll see what happens from there. Seeing him Tuesday.

My suspicion is he'll tell me that waiting for a vasectomy reversal to kick in would be a waste of precious time (takes 3-6 months for the sperm to come back in at decent quantity), and that would put me too close to 43 for them to do IVF without DEs. Doing sperm-retrieval/IVF is not my preferred means, but probably the fastest and most likely to succeed.

Hey, at least we've GOT this technology, right?

xoChick

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 9:19pm

Sounds like you are in great hands. Update w/ your day 3 labs when you have 'em :)

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 9:28pm

So far what I've got for Day 3 is FSH 10.57, estradiol @67. Low red blood cell count (no surprise--was on medication that leads to anemia, but since the test, my pre-natal vitamins have made me feel less anemic. Thanks, high iron!) Normal TSH.

Of course, there's more to do. Lord only knows if there are uterine monkeyshines going on, blockage, etc. I think for sure I'll spring for the sonogram to see what's happening in the follicle department.

Man, I'm tired already and I didn't even really START yet! :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 11:02am

Hey Chickie! Welcome!

I totally hear you with the bio clock ticking for the first time! I am 41 and TTC#1!

I haven't yet begun much tseting--if I'm not PG by the end of the summer, the plan is to start.

Good luck!! You will find a wealth of info and support from the incredible ladies on this site!

As far as NYC hospitals go, I have had friends deliver at both and hear they are both top of the line. But I personally have no experience with them.

Do you have an RE recommendation and/or favorite OB/GYN? I am on the fence with mine and going for word of mouth recommendations.

Nice to "meet" you!! :)

-Dianne, 41 yo
DH 37

TTC#1 since March 2010
Acupuncture, Chinese Herbs, OPKs, Charting (for now)

-Dianne, 41 yo
DH 37

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 9:28pm

Hey there -- I chose RMA because my gyno recommended them when I needed a little uterine surgery. I really liked the surgeon, Dr. Alan Copperman, so when I decided to do IVF he was my first choice. FWIW, he's always in New York magazine's Best Doctors issue. I have seen pretty much all the docs in the practice and they've all been patient and friendly and compassionate. The nurses are excellent, too.

Haha, my DH also had (has?) Male Ambivalence Factor. It makes things a lot harder, for sure. Good luck!

Susan CB

TTC #1 at age (gulp) 42

June 2008: m/c

April 2010: IVF #1 -- chemical pregnancy

June 2010: IVF #2 -- BFN

Susan CB

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 11:12pm
Hello and welcome. GL to you -- and yes...you have for sure, come to the right place!

Photobucket

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 8:03pm

Thank you kindly for the warm welcome!

Loves Me, I did a whole data-dump on the great RE I met with at NYU in the city today--look for the Hi Ho, Hi Ho entry. They don't do OB/GYN, but they do all manner of fertility assistance, including tests, screens, alternative therapies like acupuncture, and the usual IVF/IUI/ART stuff. You'll get a very clear picture of your fertility by seeing them.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 12:32pm
Welcome and good luck in this TTC journey!
First time mother at 43 to Colt - born Oct. 24 2010