My First Post

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
My First Post
Thu, 05-25-2000 - 3:29pm

My First Post

A bar is an unlikely place to meet the "the one" but that is exactly where Rachel met the man of her dreams.

Ever since she was old enough to notice the opposite sex as more than just annoying boys and doting fathers, Rachel's love life had been just a string of the wrong men. When she walked into that bar on that Friday night, the last person she had excepted to find was Him.

She had gone to the bar to meet yet another blind date. She resolved that if he was as bad as the last man her sister had arranged for her to meet, she would strangle her, but still faintly opptimistic, Rachel figured her luck had to change sometime, so why not tonight? Thats when he walked in.

As soon as she saw him, her mouth went dry, and with good reason. He was a fine figure of a man, the kind of man every woman dreamed would walk up to them and sweep them away. She was amazed when he sat down on the bar stool next to hers. Even more surprised when he introduced himself.

"Hello," he said, his deep voice sending wonderful shivers down her spine. "Nicholas Shepperd."

Accepting his proffered hand, she replied, "Rachel Moriarty."

"Its a pleasure to meet you, Rachel."

"You too, Nicholas." she said, smiling shyly.

"So what's a girl like you doing in a place like this?" he asked.

To his credit, he kept a straight face, even though the corners of his eyes wrinkled a little indicating humor, but it was too much for Rachel and laughter bubbled over.

"The usual," she said. "Drinking and watching."

Nicholas noticed her drink hadn't been touched, but said, "Watching?"

"Bars are inhabited by interesting people." she answered, tearing her eyes away from the strong hand that reached to take the beer he had ordered.

Looking around, Nicholas had to agree with her observation. "I would definitely have to say you're right."

"Its a habit I can't break." she said, a teasing light entering her green eyes.

"What's that?"

"Being right."

His laughter came from deep in his chest.

"How would you like to go for coffee?" he asked."I'm not much of a drinker and this place is depressing."

Rachel laughed."Yes it is, isn't it?"

Nicholas smiled. "I know a little coffee shop just down the street, if you'd like to meet me there."

Rachel quickly considered and said, "I'd like that."

"Wonderful." Nicholas said, pulling out his wallet and paying for the drink he hadn't touched. "I'll see you soon then."

"Alright." she said, paying for her own drink.

Twenty minutes later, two people sat in a small, cheerfully lit coffee shop, deep in conversation. Anybody walking by would never have guessed they had just met.