High court hears Texas sodomy case.

iVillage Member
High court hears Texas sodomy case.
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 6:39am
It difficult for me to imagine that courts waste time on such cases. IMO it's nobody's business what goes on in the privacy of someone's home. What a bunch of narrow minded homophobic busy bodies.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/03/26/scotus.sodomy.ap/index.html

>"The state has an interest in protecting marriage and family and promoting the birth of children, Rosenthal replied. "Texas can set bright line moral standards for its people.""<

>""We're now dealing with a very small handful of statutes in a circumstance where the country, whatever its attitudes toward discrimination based on sexual orientation, (has reached) a broad consensus that what happens in the privacy of the bedroom between consenting adults is simply none of the state's business.""<

>"Of the 13 states with sodomy laws, four -- Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri -- prohibit "deviate sexual intercourse," or oral and anal sex, between same-sex couples. The other nine ban consensual sodomy for everyone: Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Utah and Virginia."<

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 8:38am
The right wing side of the court would say it's ok for a state to dictate in LAW what is moral and what's not.

In texas, it's legal to have sex with an animal, but not a human being of the same gender.

These sodomy laws are nothing more than a springboard for bigotry and discrimination. That's how the current case came to be: A vindictive and bigot neighbor of the men called police to say there was a crazed man in the apartment, police enter to catch them having sex and charge them.

Yeah, it's fine and dandy a Catholic Priest can escape criminal justice for sexually abusing a child, but two grown men aren't allowed to love each other. Yeah, the religious right has more than a few screws loose.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:23am
I can't believe that these 'laws' are even still enforced! Not to mention, a waste of the tax dollars that so many 'right wingers' are always screaming about. But then, it seems as if our current administration (which came from Texas) is set on 'legislating' morality for everyone who doesn't believe as they do. Okay, rant over...considering I have a couple of relatives (whom I adore) who are in same-sex relationships, this just really fries me! {sitting on my fingers now...}

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:49am
Well said!

Photobucket&nbs