Calling Cthulu............

iVillage Member
Calling Cthulu............
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 4:49pm
I understand a "National Witch Burning Day" is also in the works followed by a "Stone The Heretic" contest.Sacrificial goats are also avilable for those who qualify.

House Approves National Day of Prayer

By Associated Press

March 27, 2003, 2:23 PM EST

WASHINGTON -- The House passed a resolution Thursday calling for a national day of humility, prayer and fasting in a time of war and terrorism.

The resolution, passed 346-49, says Americans should use the day of prayer "to seek guidance from God to achieve a greater understanding of our own failings and to learn how we can do better in our everyday activities, and to gain resolve in meeting the challenges that confront our nation."

Under the resolution, President Bush would issue a proclamation designating a specific day as a day of "humility, prayer and fasting."

White House spokeswoman Claire Buchan said officials there had not looked at the resolution but "the president believes that faith and prayer are important and frequently references the importance of praying for American troops and for freedom around the world."

more........................

http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/wire/sns-ap-war-national-fasting,0,3211719.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dpolitics%2Dheadlines

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 8:24pm
Gag, gag, gag, gag, gag!!! Where does Pres. Bush get off 'injecting' religion into anything that concerns this country? Has the man NEVER heard of the separation of church and state???? I can tell you that we will not observe this should it come to be. We'll probably be called anti-American or un-American, but I don't care. I light a candle every day for the troops, the Iraqi civilians, and the rest of the people around the world. I think this is just plain stupidity. ;-p

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 8:59pm
what is "cthulu"? There was once a person on the "feminism today" board who went by that name. Is it some kind of wiccan priestess or something?
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:24pm
I thought that was Cthulhu.

On topic I agree with Nwtreehuger about Bush's idea..... gag!

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 11:24pm
Cthulu is one of the "demigods" in some of H.P. Lovecraft's stories.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 6:43am
This really has nothing to do with the debate BUT I'm sure the spelling is Cthulhu & not Cthulu.

Try a search on http://www.google.com

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 6:55am
For petes sake, it's only a resolution. It doesn't have the authority of law. It's hardly worth getting into a twist over. I've seen a resolution in my state which declared a certain day "Denzel Washington Day".

If by some chance a great number of people do pay attention to this one, just think of how much easier it will be to get a table at the Outback.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 8:16am
Picky picky! I guess I need to polish up on my Lovecraftian spelling!
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 9:01am
But it's still the tenet of separation of church and state that's being ignored here...a "Denzel Washington Day" doesn't challenge that. A "National Day of Prayer & Fasting" IS based in religious beliefs. Yes, I realize that no one has to participate but IMHO it is going to driver a further wedge between Americans. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if those who didn't participate weren't called anti-American or un-American.

Other than that, you can bet we'll be at the Outback that day! :-)

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 10:00am
It's called anal retentive.

Photobucket&nbs

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:12am
Actually it doesn't violate any tenent of the seperation of church and state. As I'm sure you know the establishment clause prohibits the government from establishing a state relition.

As a resolution, this is merely a suggestion. It does not carry the weight of law and therefore do not constitute the establishment of a state religion. Further, the government does not make any reference to a specific religion in this resolution. People are free to pray to G-d the Father, the Goddess, Allah, Rah, Satan, or Scooby-Doo. People are perfectly free to ignore it all together (as I suspect most people, regardless of their religious preference, will. My husband is about as religious as they come and I can promise you big appetite man will not be fasting at the President's suggestion).

Pages